Chapter 7 - Treacle tart

Harry's POV:
I wait outside of the curtains drawn around the hospital bed, I really didn't mean to escalate it so much, I just like to annoy him, maybe I did let it go a bit too far this time. I never intended for him to get hurt, yeah I didn't really care if he hurt me. If anything I feel like it's one of the only times I have felt like I could actually feel something since coming back to hogwarts. Maybe Draco's right, maybe I am twisted.
"Ouch, get your hands off me, I'll do it myself," I hear Draco snap hissing in pain, followed by a pissed off looking Madame Pomfrey storming out from behind the curtain and back to her office.
I sigh to myself knowing what a foul mood he is going to be in but still pulling back the curtain and slipping through.
"You owe me a new pair of trousers, Potter," he spits not looking up from his leg.
His trousers have been cut from the bottom to the middle of his thigh exposing his very pale skin dusted in very fair, almost invisible blonde hair.
The side of his calf is covered in a thick lavender smelling ointment.
"I'm sorry Draco, I didn't mean for you to get hurt," I say honestly making him scoff.
"Yes just like you didn't mean to hurt me in the girls bathroom," he snaps, "only scar me for life I presume."
"I didn't know what that spell did Draco."
He scoffs again, "yeah right."
I sigh again placing my hand on his exposed knee and making him flinch.
"I mean it Draco. I promise, I was an idiot who performed a spell without knowing what it did," I say as sincerely as I can.
"I suppose I can believe that," he snorts glaring at me.
"I'm sorry that it scarred Draco. Can I see?"
He looks at me curiously, just when I think he is going to tell me to piss off he starts to unbutton his shirt.
I reach for his shirt, pulling it open and frowning at the scars.
Three large scars run across his chest with thinner ones littering his stomach. I had only seen him shirtless briefly before but I hadn't noticed.
I hesitantly flatten my hand against his surprisingly toned stomach.
He lets out a small squeak as I drag my hand up his chest tracing a larger scar on his chest to his shoulder and pushing his shirt off of his shoulder.
"I'm really sorry Draco," I say quietly trying my best not to let the tears fall from my eyes, not wanting him to see me emotional.
He might be an annoying, stuck up git but he didn't deserve this, not on top of all the pressure he was under from his family and Voldemort, all while he was still underage.
"You almost sound like you mean it," he says quietly, looking at his chest with a mixture of pain and disgust.
"I do mean it Draco," I say taking a seat on the edge of his bed not taking my hand off of his chest.
"I have thought about that day countless times since, it is my biggest regret, I should have helped when you were going through all that shit. I knew what it was like better than anyone."
"You don't know what it was like Potter," he snaps anger flashes in his eyes.
I gently move my hand across his chest resting above his heart, I can feel his chest rising and falling more frequently, presumably at the mention of Voldemort.
"No you are right Draco. I don't know what it's like. I dealt with Voldemort in battle many times, but I never had to live with him or pretend I agreed with him," I say sympathetically ignoring him flinching.
"What makes you so sure I was pretending, Potter?" He snaps and I roll my eyes at him.
"Say what you like Draco. I know what I believe, what I see in you."
He frowns at my words, not looking at me and placing his hand over my hand on his chest.
"Thanks Potter," he says quietly, his voice faltering slightly, deliberately not meeting my eyes.

The rings on the curtains scratch on the rail as it's pulled open.
"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt," Pansy giggles as I pull away from his chest, taking a seat on the chair beside the bed. Blaise, Ron and Hermione stand behind her awkwardly.
Draco coughs, quickly pulling his shirt closed and turning his head away from them and towards me.
"You aren't interrupting, Draco will be fine," I'll leave him with you guys now," I say standing up. Draco looks up at me as if he might say something but he doesn't.
"See you around, I hope your leg is better. Send me an invoice for the trousers," I joke.
He rolls his eyes but, I have no doubt that he will.
He gives me a small half smile as I head over to Ron and Hermione.
"What was that mate?" Ron hisses as we leave the hospital wing.
"What was what?" I say cheerfully as Hermione raises an eyebrow at me.
"You feeling up fucking Malfoy, Harry," he says grabbing my wrist.
"Leave it alone Ron," I say giving him a warning look and shaking off his hand, "it was nothing."
"Didn't look like nothing," he calls as I storm off and back to the common room. What is he even talking about?

———-

Harry's POV:

'It didn't look like nothing' Ron's words buzz around my head as I lay flat on the rug near the fire. I chose not to come down for dinner in a desperate attempt to avoid my ex-girlfriend and now her brother.
It's annoyed me that Ron implied something was going on earlier, would he have done the same if Draco was straight? It just didn't sit right with me, it seems a bit harsh on Draco to imply anything untoward. I do feel very guilty for what I've done. Perhaps I should leave Draco alone, he's been through enough and yet I still try to fight him constantly.
I sigh to myself staring up at the busily patterned ceiling and twirling my wand between my fingers.
He's just very annoying and I find it amusing to see him all frustrated, especially when he scowls at me or points his chin in the air and calls me 'stupid Potter' oh I am glad he came back to hogwarts.
I did wonder if it would be uncomfortable with him not knowing that my testimony helped him and his family a great deal. But he doesn't mention his family much anymore. It is a relief to not hear about Lucius Malfoy and his opinions anymore.
The door to the common room swings open and i sit up leaning back on my arms as Draco steps through the entrance now rather uncharacteristically wearing some black, skinny jeans.
"Pansy got them for me, her idea of a joke I think," he says plucking at the trousers, obviously noticing my curious expression.
"They suit you, you should wear them more often," I say casually laying back down on the floor.
"I brought you something to eat," he says putting a plate beside me, I hadn't noticed it due the the presence of his new denim attire.
"Chicken and potatoes, I don't know what meat is good here. I also got you some treacle tart. I think you usually eat those things."
"Been watching me again, Malfoy?" I tease smirking at him.
"No!" He says defiantly and I chuckle.
"I was only teasing, thank you for this Draco. And all the meat here is nice," I say and he rolls his eyes.
"I doubt that."
"Why are you a vegetarian?" I ask sitting up and tucking into the food.
"Ethical reasons," he says with a shrug and I can't help but snigger.
"Yes Draco Malfoy the virtuous," I laugh and he scowls at me.
"I am more so than you, stuffing your face with that chicken," he snaps.
"You brought it for me," I point out and he shrugs.
"You like it."
I can't help but smile, he might be rude, irritating and a know-it-all but he can also be quite sweet.
"You make me feel bad for eating it now," I laugh and he rolls his eyes.
"As you should, poor defenceless thing. At least if you do something horrible to a person they might deserve it."
I roll my eyes at him this time. If what was said in the trial was true he was made to crucio a number of people. No wonder he now has a limited tolerance for violence.
"This is a lot of treacle tart," I laugh putting my now clean food plate aside.
"You have some."
"Oh no no I'm okay, I'm quite full," he says from his chair. I shift closer to him on the floor, sitting beside his legs and handing him the fork.
He takes it and hesitantly takes a few bites.
"Why weren't you at dinner?" He asks and shrug taking the fork from him and having some.
"Avoiding the Weasley's I guess."
"Ah yes you broke up with She-Weasley," he snorts and I glare at him handing him the fork back so he can have some.
"Her names Ginny," I say taking the fork and he shrugs.
"I know her name. I did tell you not to make friends with the wrong sort," he sniggers winking at me.
I can't help but snort holding back my laughter and he groans. "Don't go making that ghastly noise over our treacle tart," he snaps narrowing his eyes at me.
"Oh it's our treacle tart now is it? I thought you got it for me," I laugh standing up from the floor and taking a seat next to him on the sofa.
"Idiot," he snaps taking the fork from me and having some more.
"Oi I want that bit," I tease looking at the large piece on the fork. He sighs putting it up to my mouth and letting me eat it.

"What's going on? Why weren't you at dinner?" Hermione's voice sounds and I turn to see the rest of the 8th years filtering into the common room.
I roll my eyes before turning to her making Draco snigger.
"Didn't feel like it, Draco brought me dinner," I say with a shrug. She eyes me curiously frowning at Draco.
"I am occasionally nice Granger," he drawls.
"Oh occasionally," I laugh.
"Well, rarely," he sniggers making me chuckle too.
"What's gotten into you two? You were beating each other up a few weeks ago," Pansy says looking towards Hermione knowingly.
"Ah well Draco actually gets less of a git over time," I laugh and he scowls.
"Harry is consistently rude and annoying but I'm building up a tolerance," he sasses making me laugh.
"Well it's unnerving, go back to punching him," Ron snaps getting a vicious scowl from Draco.
"Well I'll have you know, I don't live to make you comfortable," Draco snaps, "I'm going to bed."
He stands up and storms upstairs to our dorm.
I frown at the empty seat beside me. Yes he is still Malfoy but it was nice that we were starting to somewhat get on. It's like I'm finally getting to know a different side of him and yes he can still be obnoxious and irritating but he is also quite sharp tongued and sassy.
"I'm going for a walk," I snap not wanting to hear the lecture from Hermione and the complaining from Ron. I push past them and walk out of the common room accidentally slamming the portrait door a little too hard.