Chapter 2

A couple hours had passed, Steve was half asleep in his chair, trying desperately to stay awake as Betty White spoke with her friends on the tv.

But then, "Steve?" Eddie's voice was strained, gravelly.

Steve perked up, one arm leaned on the bed. "Morning, sunshine." Steve smiled up at him.

Eddie smiled back weakly. "Cops?"

"They said they'd wait to call until you woke up. They've been coming by every half hour to check in. Should be any minute now." Steve sighed.

"We gotta get me out of here." Eddie looked around in a panic.

"No, Eddie, wait." Steve stood up, holding his hands out at Eddie.

Eddie paused. Steve put his hands down. "My dad has a great lawyer."

"I live in a fucking trailer park Steve. Do you think I can afford that?" Eddie groaned.

"Consider it covered." Steve crossed his arms. "We'll figure something out."

Eddie sighed. "I want to trust you, Harrington. I really do..."

"But?" Steve sighed.

"But... I've had enough bad luck in my life to know that this debt is too big to take on." Eddie closed his eyes and leaned his head back.

"I'll pay for it." Steve gestured towards Eddie.

"Like hell."

"I will. Or- or- or we can do a fundraiser!"

Eddie rolled his eyes at that.

Steve grabbed Eddie's hand. "Please, trust me. I will figure this out."

Eddie looked down at their joined hands and then back up at Steve. "...Okay."

Steve smiled at Eddie. "Okay."

Sure enough, the nurse came by after another minute. "Oh good. You're awake." She half smiled. "They're here. Word got out..."

"So much for doctor/patient confidentiality." Eddie sighed.

Steve held back a laugh. He let go of Eddie's hand and sat back down in his chair, elbows on his knees.

Chief Powell walked in with one of his goons. "Son, you're under arrest on suspicion of murder. You may remain in hospital care as long as necessary but I will have to cuff you to the bed and have you under 24 hour supervision. Do you understand?"

Eddie's stomach sank. This was really happening. "Yes." He mumbled.

Powell pulled handcuffs from his back pocket and captured Eddie's wrist in one cuff.

Eddie smirked. "At least take me to dinner first." He scoffed.

Chief Powell rolled his eyes and clipped the other cuff to the railing on the side of the bed.

"I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, Munson. Your friends pleaded with me. So you better be thankful for 'em." Chief Powell stared at Eddie seriously.

Eddie looked at Steve then back at Powell. He nodded. "I am."

"I have a series of questions to ask you. You feeling up for it?" Chief Powell motioned for the other cop to come over. He had a notepad and pen out.

Steve stood up. "No. Not without a lawyer present."

Powell looked at him. "Fine." He looked back at Eddie. "Once you're out of here, we'll bring you down to the station and get you a public defender-"

"We have a lawyer lined up already." Steve explained.

Eddie bit his lip, worrying it with his teeth.

"Alright." Chief Powell nodded. "We'll leave you boys be, then. An officer will be posted outside your door." He motioned to the doorway.