s t o r y 8

"oh wow. it's beautiful up here." 

avery and carson were laying side by side, staring up at the vast night sky. the grass whispered and danced around them, and the wildflowers gave off a sweet smell. avery was so relieved that carson liked her 'deep thinking spot.' it was the first time that avery had brought someone else up on the hill with her to look at the stars. and of course it was carson. who else would it be?

"i know. sometimes i come up here at night when there isn't a single soul around."

the two girls were content looking up in complete silence. there was nothing to bother them- no nosy parents, screaming siblings, loud cars, nothing. it was just avery and carson. 

"why?" 

"because, carson, it's... where i do some of my most profound thinking, in case you couldn't tell. i actually become more of a genius the later it gets." 

"sure, avery. keep saying that to yourself. you know how you always say that genus takes time? well, i think genus is taking its sweet time with you."

avery chose not to respond to that and instead pretended to take offense to carson's statement. too bad she couldn't keep the smile off her face whenever she was with carson. a quiet chuckle slipped out of avery and it quickly turned into bright laughter. carson grinned, taking pride at how she made avery laugh so hard. 

what carson wasn't prepared for was how quickly avery stopped laughing. 

"woah, avery. you good? why so quiet all of a sudden?"

"i was thinking about... some of those constellations up there. see that one right there?"

before carson could answer, she felt avery's hand come to rest on top of hers. at that moment, carson felt like she couldn't breathe. sure, they held hands almost every day, but that was definitely because of how they were best friends. and nothing else. right? 

carson struggled to form a response, and her brain just about short-circuited when avery lifted their entwined hands off the grass and started motioning at the sky. 

"huh?... which one?... i don't... see it..."

truth be told, carson couldn't even see the sky at that moment while she was saying that. she had turned her head and was staring at avery. like a colorblind person wearing those special glasses and seeing a sunset for the first time. avery sensed carson's change in position, and rolled over onto her side to completely face carson. 

"carson. before i scare myself into never telling you, i need to get it out. i keep trying to stargaze with you here, but you're all i can focus on. not even the north star shines as bright as you do. and us holding hands? i can't even think straight. i can barely form sentences right now. my hand feels like it's on fire, but i can't let go of you."

"then don't, avery. we'll stay together."

the two girls slowly closed the gap in between them, avery moving her other hand up to gently touch carson's face while carson rested a hand on avery's thigh. 

"carson, can i kiss you?"

"yes. and don't stop." 

bruh i'm kinda gay right now 

also it's really late and i have school tomorrow i need help 

you're loved the most by me! check my profile for contact info!