Chapter 27

A sad sigh came from Parisa's room one morning in early March. Her research had not yielded the results she'd hoped for. But she would have to share them - there was no choice - and it would be painful, but it would be the right thing to do.

So she waited outside her boyfriend's psychology classroom once her Maths class was over, thinking over what she'd say and how he'd react. 

"Heya! How's my favourite girl?" he said brightly, planting a kiss on Parisa's cheek that made her blush. Then she remembered the bad tidings she had to bring. Marty noticed the shift in her mood - he was so amazingly attentive for one so arrogant - and his eyes evinced concern.

"What's going on, Parisa? You look so sad."

Great, she could already feel the tears forming. How could she impart the information that would break both their hearts? "Can... can we find somewhere quieter to talk, please?"

"Of course." Her boyfriend led the way to an empty classroom - how did he know where all the empty classrooms were? - and closed the door after her. Then Marty asked if she wanted a hug, and Parisa had to say no because she feared that if they did hug, she would never let go.

It was time to talk. 

"I can't be with you, Marty. The Qur'an forbids it. And, as much as I admit that I like you, my love for my God runs deeper. I believe that He is the one who created me. So why wouldn't I believe that He wants the best for me?"

"But... your God makes you do Ramadan every year," said Marty, "and, to me, it doesn't seem very loving for Allah to make you starve yourself for a whole month every year."

"It's about showing my devotion to Allah and showing that I love Him more than food. Besides, during Ramadan we do eat – just before sunrise and after sunset."

Marty briefly wondered what it would be like to voluntarily starve himself during the day. It would certainly make him Grumpy with a capital G, like the dwarf from Snow White. How Parisa managed to bear it so peacefully, he had no idea.

"The thing is, Parisa, that love is something that exists for all sexualities, all religions, all nationalities. It finds its way into our lives without consideration for our arbitrary social restrictions. And it's an awesome thing."

She looked into his hazel eyes, then shook her head. "Marty, don't you see? This isn't just an arbitrary social restriction. It's Allah's guideline for life. Allah, who was around before human relationships were a thing."

Slowly, Marty slumped down the wall he was leaning against until he was seated on the carpet. His eyes were filling with tears. "Okay, you're right. I kind of knew we could never be together. I just hoped... that maybe we could."

"Me too," said Parisa, wiping away her tears with her fingers. They stayed in sad silence awhile, realising how much they'd miss each other. Even though they were together in the room, they could never be together. Not in the way they wanted to be.

"What will become of you? Will you have an arranged marriage to a Muslim man?"

"Probably, unless I find a suitable suitor at school. And that's unlikely, seeing as Muslims are in such short supply there." Perceiving Marty's expression of dismay, she added: "Don't worry, I'll make sure I marry a good man. I have some say in the matter, thankfully, and I'll get to meet him on Skype and maybe even in real life before we tie the knot."

"I hope you'll fall in love with him."

Parisa leaned against Marty, tears trickling down her cheeks and onto his shirt. "It's hard to imagine falling in love with anyone else right now."