Chapter 29

By the time Marty got home from seeing his dad, all he wanted to do was go up to his room and be alone. The meeting hadn't gone how it was supposed to go. Sometimes in the evenings, Mum would put on a show called Finding Family. The premise of the show was that someone would be searching for a long-lost family member, some genealogy experts would find them and they would reunite. Last night, there was a forty-something man called Doug who had been trying to find his father for decades. Then the experts had found his father – a man called Fred who shared his quizzical eyebrows – and Doug had cried upon seeing the photo. The man and his father reunited in a cat café in Boston, greeting each other with a hug and bonding over their mutual fondness for felines. And, at the end of their conversation, Fred said, "I'm so glad you're in my life now, my son."

Sometimes, Marty wondered what the show producers did with the reunions that didn't go so well. Did they keep the footage, or did they delete it? How many reunions went tits up? How many relationships died after their time on the show was over?

"Hey, Marty, are you okay?"

Riley had come out of the house with her girlfriend. Marty wiped a tear from his cheek.

"I'm fine," he mumbled. He attempted to enter the house; however, Riley kept getting in his way. "Move, sis!"

"You can tell me if you're upset, you know." That did it; the story came out Marty's lips before Riley could say anything else.

"You were right, Riley; he is a dickhead," he concluded mournfully. He drew a long sigh. "Go on, say 'I told you so'."

Riley shook her head. "No, I get it. You needed to see him for yourself. You hoped that it would be different. Sometimes, someone who we want to love won't love us back. And that sucks. But always remember that there are people who love you. Like me and Merry."

Another tear rolled down Marty's cheek. "Thanks, sis." He looked at Riley, and hesitated – but she knew the question he wanted to ask.

"Want a hug?" He nodded, letting himself be wrapped up in his sister's arms.

"Group hug!" said Meredith, wrapping her arms around Riley and Marty. The latter smiled a little.

Eventually, the three let go of each other. Marty looked at Riley and Merry. Riley, his cool (and somewhat annoying) sister who loved her brother no matter what mischief he got up to. Merry, a fun and cheerful girl who Marty liked already after only a few encounters, who made his sister so wonderfully happy.

Riley turned to face Merry. "Back to Mario Kart?"

"Yeah! You can play too, Marty, if you like. The more the merrier!"

Marty grinned. "It's on!"

*

Hassan loved working on the school newspaper team. He'd told several stories that had entertained, informed and uplifted his readership (which mainly consisted of his close friends, but still). Jade in particular was an avid reader of the Ferndale Forum, and she would always give Hassan her honest thoughts on his articles.

"You did some great research into the potential of COVID-19, and all the apostrophes are in the right place," said Jade – Hassan could feel a 'but' coming. "But you could have included more of the other side of the argument – those who think COVID isn't a big threat – and your use of colons is a little off."

"It is true, though, that social distancing can cut transmission. And today I read that the WHO has declared COVID-19 as a pandemic."

Jade's eyes widened and she looked quite scared. "Wow, that's nuts. I guess there isn't much of the other side of the argument to include – I just don't want this to be a big thing that leads to social restrictions, but it looks like it will be."

Hassan sighed. "I know." By this point, the pair had reached their usual table in the sixth form common room and they took their seats soberly. Marty was chatting with Everett and Katherine about some TV show (as usual), while Hassan was thinking. There was something he wanted to tell his friends before any social restrictions came into place, but he didn't know how to.

"How do you get the courage to give personal news?" he muttered to himself. Jade heard him.

"Dude, you just published an article about a pandemic virus that could cause school closures. I think you have the courage to give any kind of news."

He was just wondering how he could possibly silence his friends when Jade said, "Hey, Marty, Ev, Katherine, shut up a minute. Hassan has something to say."

Jade's forceful manner made him feel a little like he was being outed – but wasn't that what he wanted? Besides, Jade didn't know what he was going to say. So he took his opportunity and started to tell a more personal story.

"Um... yeah, I have something to say. It's kind of personal and I've only told like two people, and I don't want my dad to know... anyway. Um. The thing is, um, I'm... not straight. Yeah. I'm gay."

All his friends looked at him. Were they angry? Surprised? Happy? Uncomfortable? Marty seemed to be smiling.

Jade said, "Okay, cool."

Katherine said, "You're so brave to come out. I'm glad you felt like you could tell us."

"Yeah," Everett agreed, "I'm glad for you."

"Well, I already knew, but it's not a competition," said Marty with a cheeky grin. Jade's mouth fell open.

"Sorry, what? Since when do you have an inbuilt gaydar?"

"Since my sister came out. I'm kind of a gay expert now. Or a homosexpert, if you will. "

"That's not true," said Hassan, "because you seemed surprised when I told you in January." He paused, flushing pink. "I'm sorry I didn't tell any of you guys earlier, I just felt..."

He didn't finish his sentence. He didn't know how to explain why he'd felt more comfortable sharing with Marty than his other friends. "Don't worry, it's okay," said Everett. "You don't need to explain."

*

Marty: Hey, can you help me to stop thinking about Parisa

Everett: As much as I wish I could, I cannot hack your brain

Everett: Technology isn't advanced enough yet :)

Everett: but yeah, sure, got any strategies in mind

Marty: Drink vodka

Everett: not the smartest idea, but keep brainstorming

Marty: Hmm... 🤔

Everett: How about listening to music?

Marty: Is that your solution to everything?

Everett: yes

Everett: don't knock it til you try it

Marty: I suppose I could try to listen to just non-romantic songs, know any good ones?

Everett: Imagine dragons

Marty: -_-

Marty: Jk they're a cool band

Marty: I know! You could be my accountability partner!

Everett: What does that involve

Marty: If I do or say anything romantic, tell me off

Everett: But telling off doesn't stop you doing anything

Marty: I'm more likely to listen to you than to teachers

Everett: lol ok I'll do it, I charge £10 per hour

Marty: waattt

Everett: special discount for friends ;)

Marty: How kind

Everett: ikr I'm basically Mother Teresa