Chapter 30

It was an algid March day in the local Ferndale park, and the rain was pouring down like those buckets that tip onto your head at a water park. Somehow, standing in the rain wasn't so fun when it completely soaked your clothes.

"Marty! What are you doing out here?" It was Lucy. She was pretty in her ribbed red shirt and ripped black jeans, her hair tied into two foxy French plaits, but she wasn't beautiful. Not like Parisa was. How had he not seen that before?

"Just enjoying the rain," mumbled Marty.

Lucy looked incredulous. "You look like someone pissed in your cereal." This elicited a small smile from Marty.

"So... there's a party tonight at my place. It starts at 8. Do you want to come along?"

Suddenly, Marty broke into a wicked grin. Perhaps this was what he needed – to forget Parisa, distract himself, have a little fun. Yes, a party would be perfect. "You bet I'll be there!"

*

"Are you sure it's a wise idea to go to a party at this time? Mocks are coming up," said Jade with a disapproving frown.

"It's always a good time to party!" countered Marty, peering into his friends' eyes desperately. Though he wouldn't admit it, he needed a friend to come with him to have a truly good time.

"I don't really feel like partying. My grandma died yesterday," said Hassan softly. There was a general murmur of sympathy, which Marty cut through with a question:

"You'll come with me, Ev, won't you?"

His best friend was undecided, eyes flickering between Jade and Marty. "Umm... well, I don't have any plans for the night... so I'll come."

Jade sighed in exasperation, like neglecting study was the worst sin under the sun, while Marty gave Everett a bright smile and a playful punch on the shoulder.

"Awesome! I'll come pick you up at quarter to 8."

"I thought you hadn't passed your driving test yet?"

"I haven't – Mum'll be in the passenger seat, making sure I press on the right pedals."

Everett seemed temporarily terrified but said nothing. Taking advantage of the silence, Marty struck up a conversation concerning which girls he might talk to or kiss later on. His friends joined in, wanting to see their mad mate find happiness with someone else, but his enthusiasm was feigned. Maybe if he faked it, one day he would make it.

*

Lucy's house was as imposing and grandiloquent as it had seemed the last time Marty had been here: tall walls, golden gates, verdant lawn. But something else was occupying his mind – alcohol. Cocktails, whiskey, cider, beer. He didn't care what it was – somehow, someway, he was going to get his hands on it.

"Who are we gonna talk to when we go in?" asked Everett, eyes widening in wonderment at the house's vastness.

"Lucy," said Marty with zero hesitation.

"I thought you didn't like her anymore?"

"I don't! It's just – she's our only chance."

"Only chance for what?"

They entered the kitchen of the house, their ears blasted with the mellifluous melody of Central Cee's latest EP. Lucy was conspicuous in the crowd at the centre of a group of teens who appeared to be downing shots. The intermittent disco lights flashed hot pink and red over her body.