Chapter 11 (Season 1)

Y/n's pov

My head feels groggy as I start to feel the world around me again. The last thing I remember before I fell asleep was Jonathan's panicked voice, something I wish to never hear again. I hate when people panic, especially about me. I slowly open my eyes only to close them again because of the bright white light sitting above me. At least I know where I am. Still wish I wasn't here though. I turn my head and look to the side, hoping the light is less powerful this way. I open my eyes to find Steve laying his head on the bed, seeming to have fallen asleep while waiting for me to wake up. What the hell is Steve doing at my bedside? We aren't even friends anymore. Wonder if Nancy knows he's in here. She'd have so many questions about why. Similar to me. I look at Steve's peaceful sleeping face, noticing a piece of his hair had come out of its perfect place. Just where Steve wants it to be. My hand moves almost as soon as I notice the hair, moving it back into its rightful place. This startles him and he lifts his head quickly, looking around the room as if there was some kind of danger in the room. "Calm down Steve, no one is in here but us. You're safe in here," I whisper to him, sitting up a little bit and closing my eyes again, the light starting to hurt a little bit. Steve moves his chair further up the bed, placing his hand on top of mine, relief washing over his face.

My eyes snap open and I pull my hand away from him. "What the hell are you doing here Steve?" I question him, not understanding why he would be in here and not Jonathan or Dustin or anyone else. He seems taken aback by my question as if he had every right to be here, like we were still friends. "Will got brought to the hospital, Jonathan went to go to his room and wait for him to wake up. I didn't want you to be alone so I stayed in here till you woke up," He explains, answering why other people weren't here but not why he was here. I could've just woken up alone. "That wasn't the question  I asked you Steve, what are YOU doing here?" I ask again, making sure to emphasize you so he'd understood what I was asking. He looks over to the door nervously and then back to me, sadness taking over his features. "I needed to talk to you about something," He whispers to me. I look confused at him. "Talk to me? Ha. You had years to talk to me Steve. Why bother trying to talk to me now? You couldn't wait a few days or until I was out of the hospital? You needed to ambush me as soon as I woke up?" I ask him. Guilt flashes through his eyes but it disappears as soon as it appears. Maybe he really doesn't know how much he hurt me. "I know I stuffed up in the past. I royally fuck up. But I want us to start again, I want to try to be friends again. I really miss hanging out with you Y/n. I miss talking with you," Steve tells me.

I look at him confused. Friends Again? What the hell is his endgame here? And yeah right. He didn't miss me one bit. He had all those girlfriends to keep him company, what would he need me for? "What are you trying to do here Steve? You haven't so much at looked at me the past couple of years. Why the hell would you want to be friends again? Why now?" I ask him, trying to find out what his end goal really was. No way would he want to be friends again without trying to get something in return. "I promise Y/n, I just miss you as my friend. I realised that I've been a real jerk since high school and I want to change that. And I want to start by being your friend again. In whatever way you will have me," He tells me. He seems to really believe what he's saying. Maybe he's being sincere about the whole thing. Maybe he really does want to be friends again.  However, a part of me didn't want to trust Steve whole heartedly again, but having one of my boys back would mean the world to me. I'd feel so much better about everything that happened in the past 24 hours if I had at least one of my boys back in my life. "Ok, we can be friends again, but not like we used to be. Not yet, maybe never. We'll start slow, saying hi as we pass in the halls, sitting next to each other in class. Then I'll see how I feel. I am not having my heart broken again," I tell him, looking into his eyes to see what he may be thinking right now. Steve smiles at me and nods his head. "Thank you, Y/n. I promise you won't regret this," Steve thanks me.