Chapter 39 (Season 3)

Y/n's pov

Dustin slowly opens the restroom door and a flood of noise comes in. We all look over the top of him and look around for any Russians that could still be looking for us. "And... blend," Dustin says, running out into the crowd. We follow after him, Steve wrapping his arm around my waist to seem more natural and to know where I am. "Well, shit, that worked," Erica says to Dustin, clearly not believing the plan would actually work out. "Course it worked. We just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebes, and home sweet home, here we come," Dustin tells her, seeming offended that she thought it wouldn't work. "Uh, Dustin?" Steve says, seeming worried about something. "What?" Dustin asks annoyed. "Yeah, we might not wanna go to your house," Steve tells him. "Why?" Dustin ask him, confused why it wouldn't be a good idea. "Well, I might've told them your full name," Steve admits. Dustin looks back at him annoyed and snaps, "What is wrong with you?" "Dude, I was drugged," Steve tries to defend himself. "So?" Dustin asks, seeming to believe we could've stopped the words coming out of our mouths while we were on the drug. "So?" Steve questions. "So, you resist. You tough it out. You tough it out like a man," Dustin snaps at him. I hit Dustin in the back of the head while Steve snaps, "Oh, yeah, it's easy for you to say."

"Guys?" Robin whispers, pulling Erica and Dustin to a stop which causes Steve and I to stop as well. I look in front of us and notice someone checking people as they exit the mall. "Abort. Abort. Abort," Dustin says, panicking a little near the end as the guy noticed us. We all turn around and run against the crowd of people trying to leave. "Shit," Steve whispers as we reach the escalators. "Okay," Robin whispers, seeming to try to come up with a plan while also panicking about the Russians finding us. We turn to find more guys making their way over to us. "Come on, let's go, let's go," Steve says to us all while pushing us in front of him and down the escalators. One by one we slide in between the two sides. Robin runs straight ahead and I make sure that Dustin and Erica are in front of me, the need to keep them safe higher than ever. Robin jumps over a bench and we all jump over it and duck down so we can't be seen. We all hind there, trying to control our breathing. I pull Dustin and Erica into my sides, trying to keep them calm but also feeling like I'm protecting them a little by having them there.

We hear them talking into their walkies, and I feel a sense of dread. Please don't find us. I hear soft footprints moving towards us and I feel like this is it. This is all gonna end in the fucking mall. Before they could get to us the car alarm of the car that's in the mall starts going off, causing everyone around to gasp. A loud bang and screaming is heard and I hug both kids tighter to my body. When everything feels like it's stopped, I let go of the kids and we all slowly stand up from our hiding place and look over to where the nose stopped. 4 bodies were scattered on the floor, the car now on its side and a hub cap spinning on the floor. We lean over the counter a little to get a better look but then look towards the second floor to hopefully see who helped us. On the floor is everyone from Dustin's group, Nancy and Jonathan. We smile up at them before everyone seems to kick back into action.

Everyone on the second floor starts to run down to us while the 5 of us move around the counter and meet them over at the escalators. I grab onto Steve's hand while Dustin runs over to El and exclaims, "You flung that thing like a Hot Wheel!" He crashes softly into Mick and El to give them a big hug. "Lucas?" Erica yells while running over to her older brother. "What are you doing here?" He questions her. "Ask them. It's their fault," She accuses us while pointing toward Steve, Robin and I. "True, yeah. Totally true. It's absolutely our fault." Steve quickly rambles out, moving his hands to his hips, keeping his grip on my hand. "I don't understand what happened to that car," Robin says slightly scared. I let go of Steve's hand and grab one of Robin's to ground her a little. "El has superpowers," Dustin excitedly says before I can say anything. "I'm sorry?" Robin questions while looking over at me. "Superpowers. She threw it with her mind. C'mon, catch up," Steve explains to her. "That's El?" Erica asks. "Who's El?" Robin asks, not being up to speed with everything thats going on right now.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" Nancy questions slightly rudely. "I'm Robin. I work with Steve and Y/n. Also Y/n's best friend," Robin explains to Nancy. "She cracked the top secret code," Dustin tells Nancy and Jonathan proudly. "Yeah, which is how we found out about the Russians," Steve explains to everyone. "Russians? Wait, what Russians?" Jonathan asks Steve. "The Russians!" Steve snaps at him as if they would know exactly what he's talking about. "Those were Russians?" Max asks. "Some of them," Erica says. "What are you talking about?" Lucas asks her. "Didn't you hear our code red?" Dustin asks the group. "Yeah. Couldn't understand half of what you were saying," Mike snaps at him. "Goddam low battery," Dustin snaps to himself. "How many times do I have to tell you about the low battery?" Steve asks Dustin. "Well, everything worked out, didn't it?" Dustin asks. "Worked out? We almost died Dustin!" I snap at him. "Yeah, but we didn't, did we?" Dustin snaps back at me. "It was pretty damn close," Steve continues. "Okay. Russians? As in, they're working for the Russian government?" Lucas asks, taking the conversation back. "What are you not comprehending? Am I not speaking English? We have a full-blown Red Dawn situation," Dustin snaps at him. "So this has nothing to do with the gate?" Mike asks us. I roll my eyes as Dustin yells, "It has everything to do with the gate..."

El groans and falls over a bit away from us which causes the arguing to stop and everyone to look over at her. "Whoa, whoa, whoa," Someone whispers while Mike yells El over and over. Everyone crowds around her as Erica asks, "What's wrong with her?" I bend down to El and Mike to hear him ask, "What's wrong?" "My leg. My leg," El repeats. "Her leg. Her leg. Okay, okay, okay," Jonathan whispers as he moves to untie the bandage around her leg. "Get it off," El whispers. We all look over at her legs and notice that one of them is puffy and swollen, causing a few people to groan in disgust. Something under the skin starts to move and El starts to groan in pain. "El! El!" Mike exclaims to try and distract her. She continues to groan in pain while Mike yells her name over and over and asks if she's okay. El starts to scream louder and we all stare at her leg, trying to work out what we can do to help her.