11

Just when was it when she realized?

First-person POV

I remember that night so clearly. I was freaking out about some guy from school that had asked me out on a date, and I was overthinking everything. 

I think, his name was Ayano...?

His name never mattered anyways. What did matter, was that I had zero experience with romance, and I was especially inexperienced with physical contact. All of that was new to me, I was only about 13 after all. So as any new teenager would be, I was panicking. What if I acted weird? What if he was uncomfortable? What if he thinks I look ugly?

I thought about all the what if's in the world. All, except one. 

But then, as if some guardian angel appeared, I heard a knock on my window.

August 14th, 2003 - Age 12 (about to turn 13)

"Huh? Mikey?" the younger Y/N questioned as she opened her window.

"Hey! Wanna hang out?" he asked, climbing through her room and onto her bed.

It was now getting sooner and sooner until the time she had to meet Ayano, and she was internally dying inside. As much as she wanted to hang out with Mikey, her anxiety got the best of her. She had only just finished putting her makeup on.

"I- I can't right now! I have a date in 2 hours, remember??" N/N frantically paced around her room.

"Huh?! A date...? So that's why you're all dressed up?" Mikey asked, looking confused.

"With who? You didn't tell me about this," he questioned.

"I did! God, you never listen to me," Y/N facepalmed, "he's just some guy from my school, he likes me. And he's in the grade above us."

"Now's just not a good time o-okay??" she stuttered.

"...hey, come here." he smiled softly, motioning towards her bed.

She stopped pacing for a moment and looked at the area he was patting. Taking a deep breath, she submitted and walked over.

"Whatcha so nervous about, huh?" he asked.

Y/N pouted facing away from the blonde boy, as she refused to speak.

"N/n..." he raised his eyebrows.

"I- it's just nerves, Mikey. This is the first time a guy has ever liked me."

"I mean, every other girl already has a boyfriend, I don't know what the hell I'm doing," she admitted.

"You said he likes you, right? So then what are you so worried about?" he sighed.

"It's just... there's a small problem. I don't know how to..." she mumbled, red spreading across her cheeks in embarrassment.

"How to...?" he repeated.

He was met with silence for a while before it finally clicked in his mind.

"Don't tell me...you're worried because- HAHAHA!" he laughed, clutching his stomach.

Y/N quickly turned her head to face him again with a scowl.

"H-hey! Stop making fun of me! What if I'm a horrible kisser and he doesn't wanna ever speak to me again?!"

Yeah, that's what she was so worried about. She didn't know how to kiss. Haven't we all had this same fear of being a bad kisser?

"How do you even know he's gonna try to?" Mikey asked, "bleh, ew... I don't wanna imagine you kissing some guy!"