Thirteen

Just Go With The Pain

Since she had fixed his glasses, James had asked her many times what the spell was. He would write it down then straight away he would lose it again. She didn't mind just repairing his glasses for him, she use to do it all the time for her grandfather.

She waited for James to come down the stairs, upon seeing him she smiled she waited in case, anyone else followed him. No Peter, no Sirius and no Remus. The four of them not being together was rare, she thought she'd take her chance.

"Hi, James-

"Remus isn't up there,"

"No, I actually wanted to talk to you," he creased his brows, he waited for her to continue, "I was wondering if you could help me with some of my work,"

"Are you sure?" he asked, unconvinced of her need for help,

"Yeah, Remus told me you're really good at defence against the dark arts, I thought you could help me," she asked handing him her homework.

"Oh, are you sure you don't want Remus' help?"

"I think he's struggling with something," James nodded understanding what was really going on he agreed to help her, in order to protect Remus' secret.

"Okay, let's look at what you've done so far," he sat down she sat with him, while he looked over her work, she wanted to question him about Remus, just to work out just how much he was willing to protect him.

"You've known Remus a lot longer than me," she spoke, he turned to her, "I'm worried about him, he's being secretive making excuses, we were supposed to have a date tonight, but he said, that we couldn't he had something to do,"

"I wouldn't worry too, he's probably stressed with exams, I'm stressed with exams I'm sure he is too," she nodded, smiling to herself.

"You're probably right," she wasn't prepared for what he'd say next.

"He likes you, I don't what you did to charm him, but there's something about you, that makes him spend all his time with you,"

"I'm sorry-

"What are you sorry for?"

"He's your friend and as you said, he's spending a lot of time with me,"

"Rem is a big boy, he can choose who he wants to spend his time with," he said, as he checked her homework he handed it back to her. "Your work is good, I think it's fine how it is,"

"Thank you, James," she smiled at him, leaving to go and find Remus before they had to prepare for their full moon in a few days.

She found him waiting outside of the hospital wing, she approached him, waiting until there were fewer students before they could talk openly. She wanted to help him this time help him, turn with a little less pain like she had done.

There seemed to be more people in the hospital wing than she thought she still couldn't mention anything to him about the full moon. As Madam Pomfrey called them through to check them before they left for the night, as they made their way back to the common room they were finally alone to talk.

"I'm going to help you tonight," she said, he creased his brows

"What are talking about?"

"I'll talk you through your change, and then hopefully it'll be easier for us both,"

"Yeah, okay, I'll see you here in a couple of hours?" she nodded, as he left for his bedroom she sat by the fireplace.

While usually, she wouldn't be able to even consider sleeping before a full moon. It was only when Remus shook her awake that she realised she had somehow managed to drift off to sleep. Freya hurried to grab her back with her clothes, they quickly rushed to the whomping willow.

"Okay, what do I do?"

"It's going to sound like nothing," she said, he waited for her to continue, "but keep telling yourself not to be afraid, don't fight the pain, let it consume you,"

"Alright," he said, unsure of her words.

As the full moon came to be, pain coursed throughout her body, not allowing herself to be afraid this time, the transition passed a lot faster. She turned something felt different, her feet felt more canine-like, however, she still looked like a humanoid werewolf.

She sat in the far corner, Remus seemed to be struggling, 'Don't fight it, Remus,' she thought. He turned to face her as though he heard her, he pushed through the pain allowing it to consume his mind. He turned, breathing heavily, she kept her distance every full moon so far he had snapped at her to stay away from him.

She laid down hoping to sleep the night out, with the calmer temperament she could have quickly fallen asleep. She felt another body lay beside her she turned over, facing him, the low growl caused her to move slowly as he might still act aggressively towards her.

"Thank you, Freya," she heard.

She nuzzled her snout under his neck, he grumbled but allowed her to nuzzle closer to him. Both were comfortable enough to drift off to sleep, the first peaceful night that they ever had, until the sunrise, they remained close and content.

The next morning Remus woke before her, quickly shifting away from her, upon feeling her bare skin against him. Quickly throwing his clothes on, he looked away from her despite the blanket covering her, nudging her foot, she woke up stretching before she got dressed the second she pulled her jumper over her head, a body slammed into her.

"Thank you, Freya," he said, she chuckled wrapping her arms around him, nuzzling her face into his chest. She hummed as he rubbed soothing circles on her back.

"You're welcome,"