Chapter 1: Pilot

It was March 18th, the final day of the third year's graduation and in two weeks our new school year will begin. I was currently speaking to Horikita-senpai just as he was about to leave ANHS.

"Ayanokouji-kun, I want to confirm something with you. I want you to answer it as a sign of my graduation." Horikita-senpai gazed at me expectantly. I nodded at his optimism for the last time.

"Why do you spend your time hiding your talents?" Unexpected, yet straightforward to the point.

"It's simple. I don't like to stand out."

"Even if you conceal your abilities, is it something you can stick by?"

"I haven't thought about it." I just wanted to live a normal high school life. Although, recently I've had doubts over it.

"Do you plan to continue this in the future?"

"It's hard to say. I won't get serious about most things, but it'll still be more than before." To be honest, I wasn't sure myself, so I bluntly told him what I was feeling.

"I was thinking about my three years in this school. What I've accomplished and what I haven't." Horikita-senpai looked over the school one more time. "Have I completely shown my strength, did I still have more room to grow, those things." A life in complete contrast to mine.

I asked. "Do you think that there's any meaning in continuing like this?"

"From my perspective, I'd say there's meaning in wanting a comfortable life. But don't you want to leave something here in this school?"

"Leave something behind... that's something someone who stands out would do."

"If you can't imprint your legacy in the school, then do it to the students. Let the person known as Ayanokouji Kiyotaka be carved into their minds, and they will not forget your existence."

Carve my existence into their minds? I've never thought of doing such a thing.

"I'm grateful to you for helping my sister grow in this past one year. You have great power, I've come to understand that in the little time I've known you. You're not a person who would stop at this level. That's why... don't disappoint me."

"I could be expelled in these two years, you know."

"Even so, you will remain in the memory of others. As long as students think back on their three years and think 'The existence of Ayanokouji Kiyotaka was truly great', then it can be considered a success."

I felt his words sinking into my heart. "I'll think about it."

I wanted memories. Memories that could make me feel happy. I was satisfied with what I had but that might not be the correct answer.

"Sorry if this turned out to be a cheesy lecture." He cracked a smile.

"No, no, these were the most meaningful words an upperclassman has said to me."

"Let's call it a day here. Although it's a selfish request, I'll leave Suzune in your care."

While saying this, Elder Horikita stretched out his hand. "Can I shake your hand?"

Just then, both of our phones dinged notifications. Usually this particular tone was for school related matters. Unlocking my phone, I read the mail. It was a meeting calling for all students to assemble in the school auditorium. How unexpected.

Seems like even Horikita-senpai received the same mail.

"Nii-san!!"

Since I was facing him, I could see his surprised expression on his face. Was it his sister's arrival that surprised him? He wasn't confused, rather amazed.