Chapter Eight

The next morning when Elora awoke the bed beside her was empty. She had expected Leif to be there, after all, for the first time in a long while, Elora had felt ordinary. Most of the time in her experience, when she woke up the morning after mind blowing sex with her boyfriend, she expected him to be there.

What she didn't expect was an empty, cold bed and scrawl of a note saying he had to go out, that he would be back later and that Lex would be in his home office all day if she needed anything.

Elora groaned. She rolled over, taking the sheets with her, almost forgetting that Happy and Grumpy had been in here all night too, but only Happy remained, the beautiful white wolf curled up by the open window in Leif's bedroom.

"Good morning to you too, Hap." The wolf had peeked open an eye, quickly closing it again as if she didn't want to see Elora butt naked as she rose from the sex riddled sheets.

"Where's Grumpy this morning?" She hadn't given them proper names, mostly because Grumpy suited him and Happy definitely suited the she-wolf.

She pulled one of Leif's shirts over her head just as Lex tapped on the slightly open door. It fell to her thighs.

"Hey there pretty girl. I was just seeing if you were awake, I need to go into the office today, I need to do some damage control. I'll probably be there all day so...I need you to come with me. You can work if you want too but you don't need to, I just can't leave you here alone all day. Leif's..."

"Leif's what?"

"Leif had to go into Fairgraves. He left at the crack of dawn. Mattie phoned him...Ivar's men raided the town house. Matilda shifted into a raven and flew out one of the windows but...there's nothing left of Leif's house, it's as good as a pile of ash." Her heart dropped into the pit of her stomach.

She should have known the happiness wouldn't last long. It was one thing after another.

"We can't just sit around doing nothing, why didn't either of you wake me?!" She would have gone with him.

"Elora–"

"No, I know it may not seem like it but I'm stronger than I look, Lex. Leif didn't have to deal with this alone, I'm his girlfriend for crying out loud, he knew I would have gone with him."

"Exactly. You would have gone with him and he would have been distracted and when it comes to you pretty girl, either one of us would jump the bullet for you. It was safer and quicker–"

"You're saying I would have slowed him down, huh? Okay, well, I guess I should thank you, you've put things into perspective for me." Elora shoved past him, she made her way towards the shower.

Lex followed, watching as she tossed the clean shirt to the floor and stepped into the steamy stream of water.

She continued to ignore him.

"Get out Lex, I'm showering." She turned her back on him.

"I don't want to fight with you."

"We're not fighting. I'm fucking pissed, Lex. Don't either of you believe in me?"

"Oh beautiful, it's not like that. We just want you safe, if anything were to happen to you I'd never forgive myself."

"So it's about you, and how you feel. Not about me, and how I feel, like it should be. You're not my daddy Lex, you can't make choices like this for me, I decide what I put myself through, not you and certainly not Leif." If he thought that their newly formed bond meant he had ruling decisions over her life he thought wrong, now, Elora knew she was overreacting but she was just scared for her mate.