Chapter Twenty Five

The ride home was dead silent. And it felt so wrong. Just going back home after everything that had just happened.

So much was going through Elora's head, and she didn't know what to do with any of it.

Ivar's final words stuck with her more than she'd anticipated. He had to be lying. Right?

Despite Ivar's confession and her own actions, Elora felt numb. She couldn't bring herself to speak. Both Lex and Leif had been talking to her, but their voices drowned out, everything around her cast aside by this feeling of numbness.

There was a large gaping hole where her happiness should be.

"It was him, you know?"

Elora shivered, turning her head towards the window.

***

Elora lost track of the hours she spent locked in her room following their return to the house. Both Lex and Leif had tried relentlessly to get her to come out and talk to them.

But she had nothing to say, not yet at least. She had so many thoughts racing through her mind, she wasn't able to make sense of them quite yet.

Another knock on her door pulled her back into reality.

"Elora, please?" It was Leif's voice on the other side of the door this time.

She thought for a few moments, debating whether or not she would open the door for him this time.

Something in her compelled her to let him in, she knew she couldn't keep herself locked away forever.

Hesitantly, she crossed the room, her hand hovering over the doorknob for a long moment before finally opening it, finding Leif on the other end looking relieved. "Elora, I-"

Elora cut him off before he could say another word. "We need to talk."