Chapter Twenty Four

Dawn had opened the doors to the cells, releasing as many prisoners as possible, showing them all the way out through the tunnels. Some wanted to fight back and others, most of them just wanted out and she couldn't and would not blame them for that.

She had bumped into Leif and Elora, almost gotten herself burned alive before convincing them that she was on their side, and when they believed her, they helped her get the prisoners out.

Leif set fire to the cells when they had been cleared.

There weren't as many people in this facility as there had been in the other one.

Lief, thankfully, had a little more control this time around. This time, he knew just how dangerous his power could be.

This time, he was excited to use it.

"Elora, pretty girl, where are you?" Lex teleported all over the lab until he found her and Leif. He frowned at the flames licking at the walls.

"Could you not have waited until we were all out before playing pyromaniac?" He tried to take Elora into his arms but Leif grabbed her before she could leave his side.

This sudden territorial take has Lex raising his eyebrows. She had wanted to come to him, right? He had seen her take a step towards him...but he had also overheard their conversation before. Lex knew Leif planned to take her away when this was over. Away from him. Away from the house.

"Leif," she warned.

"What's going on?"

"I've got this. She's my mate, I'll protect her." Elora frowned. Leif was just protective, she knew that but now he was back to being his asshole self and had been directing that at Lex.

"Now isn't the time for a pissing contest!" Elora yelled, shoving Leif's hands off of her, but made no move towards Lex either.

"They betrayed us. They want to trade me in for their own."

"I know. I came looking for you the second I found out. I need to get you out of here." He offered his hand once more but she declined, shaking her head.

"I'm not going anywhere. I want this over with Lex. I can't do this anymore, I won't." She could never just walk away from this fight.

"Please." Lex begged.

"No. I won't leave with you Lex, we're not going anywhere. At least, I'm staying put. If you want to go then fine but I plan to see this though."

"He's right, Angel. You should let him take you out of here, I've got this."

"No. Believe it or not, I'm not some damsel in distress. Leif, you've saved my life over and over again, at least let me feel like I'm worth saving. I want to end this."

"Never, ever say such things again. You are worth it. All of it and I would do it all over again if it meant I had you." Leif's features fell into a mix of pain and confusion. How could she ever believe that she wasn't worth saving?

"If you die, I will bring you back just to kill you myself for dying in the first place." Lex exhaled.

They stopped with their protests, the smoke was filling the hallway, a fire licking and rimming the walls and floor, it wouldn't be much longer now before the fire greeted them.

Elora moved first, reaching for the dagger she had tucked into her boot.

But when they rounded the corner, Elora clashed with Sunflower and Rosalie.

"Rosalie, oh my god!" She cursed.

"Oh, hi." Rosalie attempted to smile and failed. She wasn't in the mood for a lecture.