Chapter Twenty Three

"Go," Evri whispered, Arrow following closely behind him. Arrow and Erik paired off down the hall, Leif and Elora going down the other.

Lex stayed with Evri, coasting the entrance of the passage they used to get through.

"Shit, shit shit." Elora panicked, she turned so forcefully that she took Leif down with her when she fell.

"No isn't the time to play Angel," he teased. Within seconds they were up on their feet, Leif pulled Elora into him, the two pressed flat against the wall of the tunnel as three men in lab coats passed by.

"They're gone, come on." Leif grabbed her hand with his fire free one.

They took off down a series of long narrow hallways with ugly floral wallpaper and broken slate tiles, most paths were deserted, no sign of anyone which was strange, it wasn't until they reached a large steel door that they realised they had come in through abandoned hallways, and had been lucky with their run in so far.

The little device in Elora's ear rustled, a sudden high pitched noise rang through. She clamped her hand over her mouth the moment she realised her mistake. She had screamed, for the noise had hurt.

"Shit, Elora." Leif cursed, he pressed the button on his own piece. "You need better equipment." He told the receiver.

"We've got him. Get to the main hall now, all of you. Mr Sibrooke isn't going anywhere." This was too easy. Elora couldn't shake the uneasy feeling brewing up inside of her.

She looked to Leif, who was already looking at her with the same look on his face.

He knew. Leif knew this was all happening too smoothly. Something wasn't right.

The moment Leif and Elora stepped through those doors, a team of about twenty men were standing there waiting. Waiting for them, for her.

"We've got the girl, sir." The one closest to them spoke into the radio.

They all stepped towards the couple when Elora took a step back. "Leif, they want me. He's not over it." He knew that she was referring to Ivar's fucked up proposal. That these men were here to take Elora away from him, and he wouldn't let them.

It didn't take long for the guards to meet Leif's flames.

He threw his power at them, again and again, enough to distract the others, making some of them fall back while others attended to their burning friends.

Leif joined hands with Elora and ran. They ran back the way they came, turning down corner after corner.

Leif spoke through the earpiece. "What the fuck was that?" he hissed, panting and breathless, for a fae with enhanced senses, this run was taking it out of it.

"Evri, what the fuck did you do?" He was yelling now.

"I'm sorry Leif. It's nothing personal. I just wanted my sister back." That son of a bitch.

Evri had set them up. Telling someone the plan, making it so that they all had an easy way in, with the enemy assuming a victory, shutting off Elora and her mate from everyone else in exchange for his sister's life.

Elora got it, really. Evri had no loyalty outside of the rebellion and certainly not to a human girl and her grumpy mate.

But it still hurt Elora. To know that she had trusted them, trusted Evri only to have her life leveraged out.

"As long as I'm standing beside you, I won't let them take you away, Angel. I won't." She squeezed his hand.

"Do you think the rest of them are in on it?"