Chapter 1: Day Zero

Moblit's POV

I went inside the operating room, my body covered with my surgical uniform and my sanitized hands raised above my elbows. The nurses who will assist me are carefully lined around the patient as I go to my post.

"Alright. Let's start" I said. I lightly touched the stomach of the patient where I felt the flesh being more tender than usual. Hanji is right. There is something wrong inside him. "Scalpel" I instructed. The nurses beside me reached to the tools and carefully handed me my surgical knife. As gently as possible, I stabbed the skin, cutting a line on it. As soon as I opened him, everyone in the operating room gasped, seeing the most unusual thing ever.

"W-what is that doc?" A nurse asked, while staring at the insides of the patient. "H-his... H-his organs a-are entirely destroyed" She said, her whole body shaking at the sight.

"No," Another nurse interrupted. "It is not destroyed. It looks entirely minced" He said and then he turned his back, putting a hand over his mouth as he tried to prevent himself from vomiting at the sight.

I couldn't answer any of their inquiries as I, myself, were also shocked. The insides of the man are beaten and destroyed, which is very weird knowing that he is not injured from the outside. But what is more unusual is that the organs are rotting right now, the same manner as how it does when the final stages of death are happening. This man's body is decaying when he is not even dead yet.

Then a loud beeping started dominating the operation room which made all of us flinch in shock.

"Doc! His blood pressure is dropping" A nurse said but I stared at the patient in shock. What am I supposed to do with this? His insides are far from saving now. Even if I operate on him, it won't guarantee that he will be alive.

"The heartbeat is slowing down! Doc! What should we do?" They literally screamed at me waking me up from my daze.

I closed my eyes. No. I should do my job as a doctor. I have to save him even if it is nearly impossible.

"B-bovie," I said, extending my hands. Before the nurse could even give me the instrument, a long ear-deafening sound was heard. Each of us looked at his heart monitor. It is now flashing a straight line.

We lost him.

"No," One of the nurses whispered. She clutched her head and then she sat on the floor screaming.

"No! W-we killed him!" She yelled, tears streaming down her face. "W-we are all g-going to jail!" My other assistants started panicking too.

"It's.... It's all my fault" I whispered. Everyone looked at me, their eyes scared and their chest rapidly rising up and down due to their heavy breathing.

Then the most unexpected thing happened. We heard groaning at the patient's bed, catching all of our attention.

None of us made any sound until we heard another groan, originating from the man who is supposed to be dead by now.

"D-did he just g-groaned?" A nurse asked.

"I-I heard it too!" The woman who was previously crying, said as she stood up from the floor. She walked towards the face of the patient, her hand extended to check his pulse at his neck. "But there is no pulse," She said.

And the next thing surprised us all.

The patient grabbed her hand and then he bit a flesh off it, squirting a lot of blood towards us and around the room as the nurse fling her hand while screaming. Everyone inside started panicking while I just stood in there frozen at the sight that I am seeing

The patient got up from the bed and from the cut at his stomach, his minced organs spilled off along with liters of blood. His body was swaying in an irregular manner as he tried to walk towards us. Then his attention turned towards the crying nurse who was clutching her arm where a chunk of flesh was previously removed. Step by step, he went towards her, spilling more of his insides and his blood.