Chapter 2: Rescue

Levi's POV

The situation in the city is far more chaotic than what I expected. Buildings are burning, cars are crashing, and people are eating one another. Screams and gunshots filled the air as well as the scent of gasoline and smoke which is starting to dominate the atmosphere. We flew over this scenario as my squad and I focused on our rescue mission.

"Jinn. What's the status around the building?" I yelled over the noise that the chopper made as I equipped myself with a handgun and my usual smg. The soldier looked down and from the scope mounted on his gun, he observed the situation below us.

"It seems bad captain" he answered me, closing the lid of his scope. "The streets are filled with those bastards"

I hissed. So landing in an area around the building is a bad idea.

"How about you, Private Ral? Did you get hold of our target?" I looked at the orange haired woman that was seated in front of me. She has headphones attached to her head as she continuously typed in her laptop.

"No sir!" She answered "the communication lines are down and even the headquarters can't now be reached. But I am trying to hijack an alternate line for us captain"

I answered her with a nod. "So we don't have any confirmation if our target is even alive or dead" I said followed by a silent tsk. I leaned towards the window. "Private Schultz" I called for our pilot. "Do you think you think you can fly me above the rooftop of the Trost Medical Center?" I asked him and then everyone in my squad looked at me in shock.

"Captain, are you planning to engage in that building alone?" Private Bozado asked and I just answered with a nod as I attached the parachute bag on myself. Private Ral pulled the headphones away from her head and looked at me in disbelief.

"You can't do that captain! It would be far more dangerous for you to go alone. If you insist on jumping off this chopper, then take at least me with you sir so someone can watch your back" She closed her laptop and stood up from her seat. Private Ral was about to snatch a parachute bag for herself when my arm blocked her. I looked at her directly in her eyes.

"We don't have any guarantee of our target so it would be better to sacrifice one person in this operation. I will be doing the job and all of you should just get ready when I call for the chopper or when you need to retreat'' I instructed them "If I lost contact with you all for more than 10 minutes, assume that something has already happened to me and note the mission as a failure. These events call for a huge amount of manpower and the army can't risk losing a number of people just for one doctor" I told them and even though the expression of my squad screams that they do not agree with me, they still nodded and saluted me. "Well then, I'll be off" I said, jumping off the chopper when we went above the medical center.

As I jumped, air filled the inside of my uniform, somehow slowing my fall compared to the usual rate that it takes. When I was just a number of meters away, I opened my parachute and directed myself towards the rooftop of the hospital.

When my feet was about to touch the ground, I cut myself off from the parachute and jumped the remaining distance. I walked on it, my gun pointed in front till I reached the metal door leading to the inside of the hospital. I touched the knob and as I opened it I heard a voice.

"No!" A woman cried as she shields her arms from one of the undead. When I fully opened the door, her body fell backwards but before it reached the ground, I caught her. I pulled her towards my chest and then I kicked the rotten bastard on his thorax, throwing him down the stairs. I closed the metal door immediately afterwards.

I looked down on my arms, catching a pair of hazel brown orbs underneath a pair of glasses. I clearly remember these eyes.

I placed my hand at my earpiece to open it but I was welcomed by a static sound which erupted from it. "Si...sir! Cap...!" I heard Private Ral's voice talking unclearly through the line. Despite that, I still reported my status.