Chapter 10: Hallucinations

Levi's POV

The cold, crisp wind blew past me as I sat on the ground with my back resting on the trunk of the tree. It has been 2 days since Hanji and a few of my squads left for the headquarters and since they left, we have been scavenging several places for food and safety. Right now, we are resting in the forest at the far side of the city and as I sit at my spot, the other soldiers are thrashed a few meters behind me. Oluo and Henning were doing rounds in order to ensure our security.

I bowed my head low and closed my eyes. My arms were crossed at my chest as I breathed heavily. The headache that had been killing me for some days already has gone worse and I don't think that the painkillers which I got from Hanji's house can numb the pain anymore. Those meds are also making me feel sicker. At this moment, I have to think of something else in order to divert myself from the pain. But judging from how my days went ever since this chaos broke out, I think that looking back at it will just make my head hurt so much. These days were really shitty and it is far worse than when I got stuck in the middle of the war back in Afghanistan.

"Fuck this.." I breathed out. I tried to relax myself by inhaling in rhythm but no matter what I do, the pain is still pushing inside my head.

"I don't really know what to do with you anymore" said a woman's voice in front of me. This made me immediately open my eyes because I recognized her tone and speech. I looked up and when my eyes met her warm hazel orbs, the pain in my head subsided for a little bit. She walked closer to me and then I felt as if her hand brushed the top of my head. "I told you to take a rest didn't I?" she huffed out before retreating her hand from my head.

"Why are you here? I thought that I already sent you away?" I asked the brunette in front of me. She smiled while she placed her arms at her back.

"I don't know myself either," laughed the woman. She brushed a strand of her brown hair at the back of her ear and then she looked up. The light illuminated by the moon made her glasses shine, masking her brown hazel eyes that had calmed the pain down inside of me earlier. "Please stop throwing yourself in danger anymore" she whispered with a sad tone. I tsked as I looked at the other side to avoid seeing her concerned expression that also pinches my heart.

"Don't talk as if you care" I muttered as I diverted my gaze away from her. But then, her answer immediately made me dart my eyes at her in surprise.

"I do," she said as my whole body flinched. "I care about you so please come back to us alive". Her voice was really sad that hearing it coming from her makes my chest hurt. She pursed her lips then she mouthed some words but before I could even understand it, I felt my body shaking followed by a voice which grew louder and louder.

Then my image of her disappeared. The last that I saw of Hanji was a sad small smile until my eyes jolted open, seeing Henning's face in front of me.

"Captain!" He said in an alert but small voice.

I hissed as I swatted his hand away from my shoulder.

"What is it?" I asked in annoyance then I suddenly heard growling from my side. Due to my reflex, I pushed both of us down the grass, just before the undead came out from the bush. He limped at my previous spot.

"T-that was what I wanted to say sir.." the soldier at my side whispered while looking at the undead. "When Oluo and I did our third rounds at the place, we suddenly saw a pack moving towards our direction. We don't know where they came from or how they even got in here" he reported then he suddenly covered his mouth when the undead turned its head in our direction.

"How many were there?" I asked as I extended my hand to reach for my gun at the ground. I am not planning to use it but I am just getting myself armed if something ugly happens.