Chapter 9: Reunion

Nanaba's POV

"Do you think they were able to hold their places till now?" Lynne muttered while sticking her head out of our military light utility vehicle. She closed her eyes as she tried to catch the ray of sunlight that the morning had offered us.

"What kind of question are you even asking Lynne? Of course they are fine. It is Captain Levi who is leading them after all!" Henning said while smiling in admiration due to the thought of the captain.

Among all of us in this squad, it is actually Henning who looks up to Captain Levi so much. He wanted to be in his squad but unfortunately, Levi handpicks his own team and he was not included when the choosing was done.

"Henning is right. That shorty won't die easily" Our captain said after reloading his gun. He then placed it back to his gun holster that was attached at the sides of his chest before leaning his elbows on his knees and rested his chin on his hands. Lynne pulled herself back in as she looked at us in worry.

"Bu-"

"Shut up Lynne" I cut her off with a glare. "If the captain said that they're fine, then they are", I said after leaning my back on my seat. I have a huge trust with my captain's instincts and my admiration for him is the same as that of Henning towards Captain Levi. I literally crawled my way to his squad when I entered the army and luckily, I am now acknowledged as his second in command. Those who fight him are also my enemy and those that he sees as comrade is my ally.

As I rested my back on my seat, Captain Zacharias looked at me with his pale blue eyes. I got a bit conscious because of that so I just closed my eyes and pretended not to notice his stares. But it jolted open immediately when the vehicle suddenly stopped and everyone inside the van were almost thrown forward. Thomas accidentally crashed his head at the headrest of the seat in front of him so he cursed and yelled at Gelgar who was driving.

"Why the fuck did you suddenly stop?!" He hissed while rubbing his forehead. Captain leaned in front and squinted his eyes when he saw a van blocking our way. It was parked horizontally on the road and the front of the car was smoking indicating that it halted because of an engine problem.

"I'll go check it out" Mike said and then he opened the door on his side. I immediately jumped out of my seat too and followed him as I pulled my gun out of its holster. We walked slowly towards the van and when we were close enough, the captain peeked inside the vehicle. He retreated his head afterwards and then he shook it signalling that there was nothing inside. I nodded at him as I went around the van. But before I could even leave, someone suddenly sneaked behind him.

"Mike!" I yelled as I reached forward to him when his perpetrator pulled him by his neck. But a hand also pulled me by my arm and I screamed when it was twisted behind me. I was pushed down the floor as the person placed their weight at my back.

In front of me, Mike elbowed his attacker, causing a hiss to erupt from him. His grasp on my captain loosened and when he turned him around, my eyes widened as I recognized who he was.

"Captain Ackerman?" I muttered while looking at them with a frown. His gray colored eyes widened when he saw me and then he let go of Mike who hissed at him when he faced the other captain.

"Oh my God, I am so sorry Nanaba!" A female voice exclaimed behind me as the weight over me was removed. Petra went in front and then she extended her hand, helping me up on my feet.

"Seriously Levi? You just attacked us at first sight?" My captain said while rolling his shoulders on its socket. Levi narrowed his eyes before he whistled, revealing his other squad who had already made its way on our vehicle.

"I didn't recognize you earlier" He said, sheathing his knife back to its place.

"Why are you here by the way? Didn't you say that you were at Dr. Zoe's house?" I asked, shifting my eyes to Petra and their captain. Levi shrugged his shoulders while Petra looked at me hesitantly.

"The house was overrun and we had to leave immediately" Someone answered behind me so I looked in that direction, seeing a brunette in a pair of glasses. Unlike her appearance in the photo, her hair was down this time and her glasses weren't the usual round ones. It was square and thick-framed, with rubber binding that goes around her head.

"You can all bring us back to the headquarters right?" Levi said, getting in between our conversations. Mike nodded as he pointed to our vehicle.

"We will but unfortunately that vehicle can only accomodate 8 people including the driver" He said which made the other captain frown. "Right now there are 12 of us"

Levi placed his hand on his chin. "So that means that we have to leave at least 4 people behind" He muttered and then his eyes darted towards the doctor. "You go first" He told her and I was surprised to see his expression being softer than usual upon the sight of her. Zoe's eyes widened and she shook her head immediately.

"No! I refuse to go if I'll be leaving some of you behind" She talked back as Levi let out a breath.

"Just go an-"

"No!" The doctor said firmly. It actually kinda scared me since I saw Captain Levi clench his fist at her reply but he still answered her calmly which is a surprise for me.

"Listen to Hanji. You are the army's responsibility so ensuring your safety is our priority. Please go with Mike's squad and report back to the headquarters" He said to the doctor who was still shaking her head. Levi hissed when suddenly, she talked to him in frustration which turned each of our attentions on them.

"Stop acting like a hero you damn chibi!" She yelled and it all shook us. Petra looked at the doctor with disbelief while Mike smirked in amusement. "It has been pissing me off since you clearly have something hurting inside you but you have been enduring it for what? To save us? Well newsflash for you! we can save our own butts without needing you to sacrifice yourself!" She yelled at the captain. Levi 'tsk' and at that moment, I knew that he was at his limit.

"I am not doing this to act heroic, you shitty glasses!" He yelled while stomping closer to her. "Can't your fucking eyes see that I have been doing this for you since you are my mission and I have to protect you at all cost?! So please do me a fucking favor and just get inside the damn vehicle right now!"

Everyone grew silent after the two of them argued. The doctor pursed her lips as she looked at the captain with teary eyes. She blinked all of those away afterwards and then she walked past him. Captain Levi bowed his head low as the brunette stomped towards the vehicle, joining my other squadmates.

"Levi" Mike called while walking towards him. "I'll leave Henning and Thomas to you. Dr. Zoe, Petra, and Eld will be coming with me to the headquarters. Is that alright?" He asked and the captain nodded.

"Yeah. But just please ensure her safety alright? That damn four eyes is too hard headed after all" He muttered as Mike chuckled.

"Yeah. I saw that" He replied and then he patted him on his shoulders. "I'll also leave some of our remaining ammo. Keep yourselves alive out here before we get you all back"

Levi raised his head and with determined eyes he nodded. "Affirmative"

Mike tapped me on my shoulders as soon as he turned his back to the captain. I looked at him and then I followed him back to the van while taking short glances on Levi who is now talking with a few of his squad. As I look at the captain and remember the scene earlier, I just can't help but think about the type of spell that the doctor has placed on him to act that way. The last time I saw him, he was really stoic and firm to himself but earlier, he almost lost his cool at the thought of Dr. Zoe rejecting his offer for safety. But if I would also be in that state and I had to leave my captain alone, I would probably do the same. I would try to defy him and stay by his side no matter what.

"Nanaba?" I was snapped back to reality when Mike called for me. I stared at him for a few seconds before a smile erupted to my face.

That is right. I don't want to leave my captain behind because I love him more than my service and my life.

I thought as I saluted at him and went inside the van.