Chapter 11: Headquarters (Part 1)

Hanji's POV

Levi was sprinting with me behind him and compared to his shaken state earlier, he has become more calm. I was shocked to see Levi earlier being frozen in his spot when the undeads launched themselves on him. It was rare to see such a stoic person showing such weakness so I didn't think twice and I immediately helped him. I didn't expect that I would receive such a surprising reward though.

"Shit..." I muttered as my right hand brushed over my lips, remembering the way he crashed his lips on mine earlier. I don't know what came in his head to do that but definitely, what he did just made my heart skip. It is really a good thing that I fought with Erwin just to come back to him.

Flashback

The vehicle shook badly as it went over the debris and dead bodies scattered on the road. This woke up a few of the soldiers with me, including Petra who accidentally bumped her head at the window.

"Sorry!" The driver yelled from his seat. "The road after this will be more bumpy so I suggest that you all hold on to your seats" He chuckled before pressing on the gas that threw us all forward. Petra, who was sitting beside me, looked out the window and then I saw her frown.

"Nanaba'' She called out to the short blonde haired woman at the front who was sitting beside Captain Zacharias. "Why are we not heading to the headquarters?" She asked as soon as the woman darted her head towards her.

"This is still going towards the hq" The woman named Nanaba replied. "We just need to detour since the main road leading to the front gate of the headquarters is packed with those shits. It would be impossible for us to get through that without risking our own lives" She said and then she rested her head once again on her seat.

"So where is this headed?" Petra asked and then she brushed her hand over Eld's head when the man scrunched his face in his sleep.

"The back gate" The captain of the squad muttered and as if on cue, the car made a turn and we were welcomed with a huge steel gate. At the sides of the gate are two watchtowers with soldiers on top of it, equipped with rifles. The gate has a barbed wire barrier in front of it too filled with heavily heavily armed soldiers who are probably keeping watch of the place. One of them left his spot outside the gate and then he ran towards our slowing vehicle.

"Yo Nile" The driver said as soon as the soldier removed his helmet.

"You all got back alive. Surprising" He said in sarcasm which made the drivera laugh.

"Yeah. We need to get inside tho. Do you think you can help us do that?"

The soldier named Nile raised an eyebrow as he scanned the people inside of the vehicle. As soon as his eyes locked on mine, he turned his head back to the driver and nodded.

"Yeah. The commander is actually waiting for you all" He said and then he made a few hand signals to the soldier who was guarding him. A few seconds later, a loud sound erupted in our place as the steel gate slowly opened, giving way for our vehicle to get inside.

"Woah.." Petra muttered while looking at the scene around us. "I've never seen this place become this busy" She said while her eyes watched every soldier who was running around the place, armed with their own guns and rifles. From a distance, you can hear the loud helicopter engines going off that almost masked the loud murmurs of the people in the headquarters. The place was truly packed and it was not filled with soldiers only, but also a number of civilians who were probably rescued days before.

"You can get off now. The commander is probably anticipating you already and I think that Eld needs to be confined immediately" The driver said as he made a stop in front of a 2 storey building. Nanaba immediately opened the door at her side and then she hopped off, followed by Captain Zacharias.