Chapter 15: The Sacrifice

Continuation from the original book. Sorry that it took 2 years before being continued. Just a quick recap, this will follow Hanji, Levi, and Mike's team after the happenings at the diner.

Hanji's POV

"HQ this is alpha. Over." the woman at the front seat of the car muttered as she continuously turned the valve of the built-in car radio in our vehicle. Still, for the nth time, no response was given. "HQ. This is alpha. Over." she repeated, putting emphasis on each word.

"Nanaba, shouldn't it be time that we stop trying to contact them?" Thomas, a member of Captain Mike's squad, told the short-haired lady who has been trying to get in touch with the HQ for quite some time already. "The HQ is obviously overrun. No signs of life can be seen anymore" he sighed.

Nanaba looked at him with a glare. "Just shut up and let me do my job, will you?!" she hissed. Thomas put his hands up in defeat before Nanaba turned to the radio once again and repeated what she was doing.

But to be honest, he is right. The moment we got to the back entrance of the HQ, we already guessed what had happened to them. With the gate broken and the watchtower with nothing but a hanging body of a soldier, we already knew that the HQ had fallen. I just can't bear to imagine that the people in there died while panicking because they do not have their commander, they still suffer so much loss in manpower, and they do not have two of their best captains. I don't even know if my previous patients in the infirmary are in a safe place or not because clearly, most of them cannot be taken care of without the good equipment. Eld is actually an example of that.

I bit my lower lip and looked outside of our vehicle. Levi and Mike are out there, checking the premises for signs of life. They think that some of the people from the HQ are probably still alive and the farthest that they could have run is at our current location. Oluo and Gunther are helping them check the surroundings but the two soldiers were doing their rounds at the other side of our spot.

"Hmm.." I heard someone moan beside me. I looked at Erwin and saw his body shake a little while gritting his teeth. A slight hope emerged from my heart at the sight and a smile appeared on my face.

"Levi!" I called for the captain's attention while my eyes were still darted towards Erwin. "I think that he is waking up!" I said and then I turned to look at him. Levi's eyes widened in panic and I saw how he immediately ran towards me. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"No!" Levi shouted and as just then, I felt a head fall on my shoulders. I held my breath and froze on my spot. Nanaba immediately threw the microphone of the radio then she got her gun and pointed it over me. The slight movement at my neck made me even more scared and it worsened when I felt a breath drawing closer to my skin.

"S-sewers" Erwin breathed near my ear before he collapsed once again. Levi pushed the commander off me making the unconscious man fall on the backseat. Then he tilted my head to check the side of my neck.

"What did he do?!" he asked me, placing both of his hands on my shoulders. "Did he also turn?" he followed.

"No.." I whispered, glancing back to the commander. "He actually said something.. Sewers, I think?" I told Levi, making him frown even more.

"That's it!" Nanaba exclaimed as she placed her gun back in its holster. She pushed open the compartment in front of the passenger's seat and then she grabbed the crumpled and rolled blueprint. "I remember overhearing Commander Pixis before regarding an underground headquarters which they prepared in case of an air raid. They probably evacuated down there" she said, opening the door at her side of the vehicle. "I better tell Captain Zacharius about this. He might know something" Nanaba told us before she slammed the door shut. I looked at Levi who was rubbing his temples.