Chapter 2

☆☆☆

Two Months Later

"Two in your section, Raina." Liza said in passing on her way to the kitchen. Raina nodded.

It was nearing closing time and she anticipated a warm bath and a cozy bed when she got home. It was sad, really, she thought to herself. She was only twenty-four and her evenings weren't that different from that of her grandmother. Actually, her Grandma Annie got out more than Raina did as she was very active at the Senior Citizens Center in town. Raina's social calendar was sadly lacking in events. Most nights she was simply too tired to make an effort. Take today for example. She'd pulled a double again and had been working since breakfast. Her feet ached and her shoulders felt tight. Heck, her entire body felt heavy with exhaustion.

She grabbed a couple of menus and headed for her section. Tonight, she was working the corner of booths near the windows to the left of the entrance. The menus weren't really necessary. Matthew hadn't changed the menu since Millie passed away fifteen years ago. Most people ordered the burger and fries. It was what Millie's did best.

An adjacent booth obstructed her vision of the couple occupying her booth until she stood abreast of the first seat.

"Hey, sexy." Levi said, smoothly with a slimy grin. Raina's stomach dropped. She used to think his smile was hot and she'd told him so on numerous occasions. That was before he'd revealed himself to be a weak, cheating liar. Now just the sight of him made her want to throw up.

He didn't frequent Millie's Diner often. He'd moved away to attend trade school for a couple of years. And then he'd found work in another state. Last year, he'd returned home.

"Hello, Levi. How's your wife?" She asked pointedly.

Levi laughed uproariously as though she'd said the funniest thing in the world. "Amy's not my wife." He held up his left hand and spun it to display the lack of a wedding ring. It was true. They never married. But they lived together and shared two children. Rumor had it that another baby was on the way. "Anyway, she's out of town with the kids. She took them to see her mom." He leaned forward, his gaze dropping to her chest. "That means I've got the house to myself."

She made a noncommittal noise and handed him and his friend each a menu. She offered the latter a friendly smile. "What can I get for you this evening?"

Levi grabbed her wrist, forcibly recapturing her attention. He licked his lips. "This place closes down in an hour or so, right? Why don't you come over tonight? We could have drinks and catch up."

"No." She replied coolly. She tried to pull her arm away, but he only tightened his hold.

Levi persisted in his belief that she'd never gotten over him. It was true that she hadn't had a serious relationship since they broke up, but it wasn't because she continued to pine for Levi. In truth, she found him repulsive and she couldn't fathom what her teen self had ever seen in him. But then, maybe she was biased because of the pain he'd caused her. Now, she didn't even like men who reminded her of him.

"Come on now, Raina. Remember when we—"

She glanced around to make sure no one was watching before she twisted her wrist sharply, wrenching out of his hold. "If I don't place your order soon, the kitchen will close."

"Even if they did, you'd go back there and make me something to eat, wouldn't you sweet Raina? You used to like to bake for—"

"Levi, cut it off." His companion said gruffly. Raina had seen him around, but she didn't know his name. "I'm hungry. I'll have a burger, fries, and a Coke. I'd like the fries and burger with chili on top." He handed Raina his menu.