Chapter 5

☆☆☆

Harry stepped back to admire his work. He tilted his head to the side. It wasn't really his taste, but it was just what the owner requested. Rustic surroundings be damned, the owner wanted an industrial theme. That equated to a stainless-steel backsplash, concrete countertops, metal shelving, and gunmetal gray walls. They'd commissioned an artist to construct a steel and glass dining room table. The overall effect off all that glass and steel was cold and uninviting. He could understand it if it was a loft in the city. Converting a log cabin out in the woods into some sort of factory look alike just didn't make sense to him. But, hey, it wasn't his money.

He thought of Raina's cozy little house. He hoped she was willing to move in with him as he couldn't leave his pack. He couldn't help but grin at his thoughts. The woman was barely willing to answer the phone to talk to him and he was already planning her move.

He'd learned more about Raina from David and Casper's observations than from his conversations with her. The girl had some serious trust issues. He suspected it had something to do with the jackass who kept harassing her at work. He'd instructed his pack to keep an eye out for that guy.

He wished he could be there to do it himself, but it was probably for the best that he wasn't. As much as it pained Harry, Raina needed more time to accept him. The only way he could do that was to stay away from her.

He'd never felt hunger like this—not even when he'd been a horny teen. He woke each morning with steel in his pants. No matter how many times he took himself in hand, he was hard again within minutes. Nothing and no one would satisfy him but Raina.

He couldn't wait to hear her voice. It was past six, and the rest of the crew was gone. He'd been working late every day in hopes of getting ahead of schedule. Hell, he'd even slept on the porch a couple of nights when Raina had been ignoring his calls. He'd stayed and worked until he could barely stand. There were miles of unspoiled forest around him, but he'd been too cautious to shift into his wolf form. Though he was still cognizant as a wolf, he had less control over his impulses. Most likely, he would have awakened on Raina's porch. Hell, he might have jumped through her bedroom window and curled up at her feet. That's how much he wanted to be with her.

She might think that he was treating her as though she were fragile, but thus far, she'd behaved as skittishly as a deer foal when in his presence. He couldn't imagine what her reaction would be if she suspected the strength of his desire for her. He couldn't risk scaring her off. If she ran from him, he would chase her. He couldn't rein in that instinct no matter how hard he tried.

Isaac poked his head in the front door. "We're leaving. Some of the guys wanted to go on a run. Are you coming?"

There wasn't much in the way of entertainment up here. There were a few other large cabins, most of them empty vacation homes, the bed and breakfast they'd chosen for lodging, a few hotels, a restaurant or two, and a bar. By ten o'clock, all lights went out. The environment was perfect for an evening run, but provided nothing in the way of diversions for a group of single men.

"No. I'm going to head back to the B&B and call Raina. You go on. I'll lock up here."

Isaac nodded. "See you later."

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Raina put away her dinner dishes. Dinner had been microwaved low calorie lasagna and a Caesar salad. It'd been quick and all she'd been willing to deal with after a day of sweeping, dusting, and sanitizing. That mystery stuff in the bowl in the back of her fridge turned out to be leftover mashed potatoes. Now after washing dishes, all she wanted to do was have a shower and maybe zone out in front of the television.