Chapter 11

☆☆☆

Harry flipped pancakes while Raina set the table and poured them large glasses of milk. He watched her as she moved around for any signs of discomfort—physically or emotionally. Though he'd tried to be gentle and bury the savage that lurked beneath his surface, he hadn't been entirely successful. As his mate, it was understandable that if any woman should blow apart his control, it would be her.

Was she walking more gingerly than usual? Damn it, he'd been too rough with her.

"Why don't you sit down? I'll bring over the pancakes when they're done." He'd already plated the bacon and sausage. He had a large appetite. He hoped that he'd cooked enough.

"I'm fine." She snatched a slice of bacon off the platter. "But I'm starving."

He placed the last pancake on the stack of others and turned off the burner. He carried the food to the breakfast table. The table was just off the kitchen. There was also a dining room, but he'd never had occasion to use it. This was where he ate most of his meals. Floor to ceiling windows gave them a view outdoors and let in the bright morning light.

Raina carefully sat in the wood chair. Harry sighed. "Would you like a painkiller?"

"I'm fine." She began loading her plate. "It's been a long time is all. And it was never like that."

He growled. Meaning, she'd never had a man rut her like an animal. "I'm sorry."

He'd held back, keeping the biting to a minimum. But when he was inside her, he'd lost his mind. He'd thought he should have been sainted for only claiming her twice when his libido had been urging him to go all night.

Much as it pained him to even think of it, maybe he should keep his paws to himself until she'd completed her transformation. Abstaining from making love with his wife, his mate, would be hard—literally. But he'd do it for her. He'd do anything for Raina.

She shook her head. "No. I mean..." She bit her lip and lowered her eyes. She wiggled in her seat. "It's never been so... fantastic."

His breath froze in his chest. "Yeah?"

Smiling shyly, she nodded. "Yeah."

The scent of her arousal hit him hard, instantly turning his cock into a steel pipe. His appetite for food was replaced by another type of hunger. He dropped his fork. All his ideas of abstinence fled his mind.

"I can put this in the oven and keep it warm while we—" The peal of the doorbell ringing interrupted him.

Growling, Harry stood. "Who the fuck?"

Who did he know who'd be so dimwitted, so insensitive as to interrupt him and his wife the day after they were mated? It was tradition to leave the new couple alone for the obvious reason.

He snatched open his door and glared down at... his parents. Harry scowled. "Mom? Dad? Why—"

His mother didn't wait for him to complete his question. She brushed past him. His dad gave him an apologetic smile and a shrug. "Your mother was eager to meet your mate. Don't worry, I made her promise to keep it brief."

Harry was pushing the door closed when it suddenly met with an obstacle. "Hey, let us in!"

He pulled the door wide again to find his brother and his mate—Helene. "What are you doing here?"

"Mom called." Jack punched him in the shoulder. "Congratulations." He paused to sniff. Then he hummed and rubbed his belly. "We're just in time for breakfast. Helene, we're in for a treat. Harry's a great cook."