Chapter 4

☆☆☆

The two men sitting at her table turned to her with bright and friendly smiles. They'd been coming in twice a day, every day now for the last five days. They always sat in her section and they tipped her generously.

She almost felt guilty for thinking that they were werewolves sent by Harry to spy on her. She didn't know what gave her that idea. Unlike Harry, they looked perfectly normal. Neither of them had sharp teeth. Their brown eyes were a warm chocolate. There had been no incidences of either of them growling or sprouting hair.

But none of that changed the fact that they were strangers in a small town that was not a vacation destination. The only visitors that ever set foot in their sleepy town were extended family members of residents or strangers passing through on their way to somewhere more interesting. As they never came in with any of the locals, she knew they weren't here visiting family. And they weren't just passing through. If that were the case, they'd have left by now. Also, they showed up right after Harry left for the mountains.

If blending in was their goal, they'd failed. They stuck out like sore thumbs.

Mostly out of habit, Raina whipped out her order pad and pen. Before she could inquire after their orders, the brunette said, "Raina, you need to answer your phone." His tone was so jovial that it took a moment for his words to penetrate.

"What?"

He sighed. "Harry says you're not answering his calls. If you don't start answering, he's going to be forced to abandon the construction job he promised to oversee to come back for you."

"He wouldn't do that for me." She blurted.

The more she'd thought about it, the more she was certain that this was some sort of trick to get her into bed. Men would go to amazing lengths for sex. It seemed that werewolves were no different. Since she didn't instantly fall into bed with him, she now presented a challenge.

Raina was apprehensive of what would happen when he realized that she wasn't going to give in. In her experience, men turned into angry little boys when denied for too long. And Harry wasn't an ordinary man despite his claims to the contrary. He could turn into a wolf at will. This was entirely new territory for her.

He shook his head slowly. "Actually, there's very little he wouldn't do for you."

"So, please answer your phone." His red-headed friend said. "He's going out of his mind wanting to be with you."

"That sounds sweet, but I don't believe you."

The red-head's sigh was much like his friend's, patient yet a tad condescending. "Talk to him. Let him convince you."

"I'm Casper, by the way." The brunette said. "And this is David."

Raina nodded. She was just about to ask for their order again when Matthew interrupted her.

"Raina, I'd like a word with you when you're done here." He sounded so serious that she knew she was in trouble.

"If you need us, let us know." David said with a nod in Matthew's direction.

"Harry instructed us to protect you."

She giggled at the idea of Matthew being considered a threat to anyone. "I don't need protection from my boss, but thanks. Can I get your orders? He's probably grumpy because I've been over here too long."

"Sure, just get us the burgers and fries." Casper handed her the menus. "Thank you, Raina."

Raina turned in their orders before seeking out Matthew. He stood in the doorway of his office and waved her back. He motioned for her to sit opposite his desk while he made his way behind it. His office was small and cramped. The simple wood desk was covered in paperwork. Matthew's chair squeaked ominously as he settled into it. Raina feared that it would send him crashing to the floor. She winced in preparation, but surprisingly, it held.