I'm Afraid To Come Home In The Dark

"Baby dear, listen here. I'm afraid to come home in the dark" Hazel Levesque sang quietly as she walked by canoe lake. "Ev'ry day the papers say a robbery in the park" Hazel liked to come here whenever she wanted to sing, that way nobody would hear. She also didn't know any modern songs so she went with one her mother used to listen to. "So I sat alone in the Y.M.C.A. Singing just like a lark.There's no place like home-"

"-But I couldn't come home in the dark" Hazel quickly turned, mortified by the idea of someone having heard her singing. When she had turned she spotted (y/n) exiting the lake and her mortification instantly turned to confusion.

"(Y/n)? What were you doing in the lake?" Hazel asked as she walked up to him and helped him out. "You're soaking wet!"

"I was hanging out with Canoe" (y/n) quickly pointed to the lake.

Hazel gave him a confused look before looking into the lake. "Oh, I didn't realize her name was Canoe" Hazel spoke as she finally noticed the naiad sitting at the bottom of the lake. "And I didn't know you two were friends" she felt a pang of jealousy at the idea of the beautiful spirit of the lake and her friend hanging out.

"Then why are you here?" (Y/n)'s face dropped a bit at the idea that Hazel wasn't here to see him.

"Because usually nobody is here" Hazel shrugged as she began rubbing her arm in embarrassment. "And I didn't want anyone to hear me sing"

"Oh" (y/n) huffed as he tried not to sound upset.

"But I am glad you're here" Hazel smiled and (y/n) was quick to forget his upsetness and smile back. "Come on. Let's make tracks"

"What?" (Y/n) asked with a confused look. He loved Hazel but her slang was still very thirties inspired. (Y/n) loved it.

Hazel just sighed. "Let's get away from here"

"Oh okay" (y/n) nodded with a smile. He glanced down at his outfit. "I may need to get changed"

"Oh. Okay" Hazel nodded as they began walking. "Let's hang out in your cabin then"

"Works for me" (y/n) nodded as he glanced back at the lake and waved at it.

"So..." Hazel began as she glanced back.. "she's cute as a bugs ear ain't she?"

(Y/n) quickly turned back to Hazel. "Cute, yes" Hazel turned her head to hide her small frown. "But the phrase cute as a bugs ear is reserved for you"

Hazel blushed lightly as her frown turned to a smile. "Well ain't that sweet" she whispered without looking back at the boy. She waited a moment before looking back at the boy once she was sure her blush was gone. "Come on you boob. Let's hurry up so you can change into something dry" she quickly began running towards his cabin.

"Boob?" (Y/n) whispered to himself. "But she's the one with boobs, not me" he glanced down at his chest before chasing after Hazel.

"Must be more slang" He had thought that she was phasing out of the thirties slang. It never occurred to him that she had decided to step it up since she knew he liked the uniqueness it gave her.

—————————————————————

"You changed yet?" Hazel called as she stood with her face against the wall.

"Have been for a couple minutes" (y/n) laughed as Hazel quickly turned around.

"Then why was I standing against the wall?" Hazel crossed her arms angrily.

"I always get a front view. I wanted a back view of you for once"

Hazel had no clue what to make of that statement. "Okay you little cracker. Quit your laughin"

"Ooh, Hazel Levesque using an offensive term. Never thought I'd see the day" (y/n) smiled widely as Hazel gained an apologetic look.

"That's an offensive term now?" She began to profusely apologize.

(Y/n) just laughed more as she kept apologizing. Hazel was silent after a moment before joining in on the laughter. "Stop messing with me or I'll drop you"

"You're not holding me" (y/n) continued to laugh. He of course knew that Hazel was using her slang again but he couldn't resist that response.

"You know what I mean hotshot" Hazel rolled her eyes before walking to and sitting on the boys bed.

"Mayhaps I do" (y/n) shrugged before sitting beside Hazel. He leaned his head on her shoulder and she momentarily stiffened before relaxing once again. "I haven't seen you much recently"

Hazel frowned and looked down at the boys head. "I know" she wrapped her arms around him. "I've got stuff to do at camp Jupiter too. I like being here with you but that's only part of my life"

(Y/n) sighed as he returned Hazels hug. "I know..."

"Don't sound like that" Hazel sighed. "I shouldn't be going again for a while. Since I broke up with frank I don't really have many friends there. That's why I'm here now most of the time"

(Y/n) nodded in understanding. "As long as you keep coming back I'll be okay"

"I wouldn't just leave you here. Promise" Hazel debated inside her head before making a decision. She readied herself mentally before hesitantly putting a kiss on the top of the boys head. She couldn't see it but he smiled in response as he leaned into her grip more.

Word count: 916