FOUR

The last ray of sunlight disappeared from the horizon. As planned, all the boys entered the hold of the ship. They began to unpin their badges and prepared to call it a day. Alex, however, did not follow them in just as yet. He stood facing the mountains and the waterfall that poured into the Arenfjord. He looked perturbed but admired the natural beauty before him nevertheless.

Alex was worried about Corporal Radcliffe and his impossible antics. He decided to talk to him about his behavior; tell him what was expected of him as a boy in the Corps.

Alex opened two big doors that led into the boys' deck. Hardly anyone noticed the sergeant, as there was a considerable hubbub when the boys were settling down. Alex walked to Radcliffe and started in the friendliest of ways,

"Hey there, Radcliffe! I need to have a word with you about your behavior. Do you recall the three girls in the town?"

Radcliffe replied in the same incorrigible and annoying tone, "Yeah, what about them?"

Alex responded, trying to keep calm, "I would like to speak to you about it in person, please."

Radcliffe went on, "Whatever happened, they deserved it. There's nothing more to it."

Alex tried to persuade, "Trust me; there is Radcliffe, and that is why--"

"Shut up, sergeant! I'm not here to play foolish games with you!"

This caught the attention of a few cadets, and so the hustle and commotion quietened a bit. Alex could tolerate anything—anything but a cupcake of disobedience iced with backtalk. He didn't say a word and walked out, closing the doors gently.

He stood by the door, concealing his anger as his face turned red. He then gathered the energy and took a breath. He paced toward the door. With all his might, he kicked the two big doors open, which created an enormous racket. All the commotion in the deck died out, and there was absolute silence. Some of the more experienced cadets began to place their kits on their beds and stand at attention.

"AT ATTENTION!" commanded Sergeant Alex in a voice that one could hardly believe came from the boy. Most of them clicked their heels and came to attention, while others began to wear their unpinned badges. "PRESENT YOUR KITS!" demanded the sergeant as he walked down the stairs.

By now, almost all cadets had presented their kits, save one distraught boy. Alex marched up to him and asked, "Cadet Josh, WHERE is your DAY KIT?"

Josh was helplessly rummaging for it in his cupboard. "I... I am unable to f-f-find it, sergeant." stammered a terrified Josh.

"Well, then FIND it already! I DON'T have all day!!" required the sergeant. Josh continued to frantically search and replied with a, "Yes, sergeant!"

Alex then advanced to Corporal Radcliffe. He was standing at attention and avoiding eye contact with the sergeant like a cadet was supposed to. "Well, corporal," began the sergeant with an inflection to his voice. "I order you to follow me to the main deck immediately!"

Radcliffe answered cautiously, "The corporal in the ranks is unwilling to do that, sergeant."

Alex briefly softened his voice and replied, "Well, it's your call then, corporal."

Alex turned and began to speak out loudly, "Today, all of us witnessed CORPORAL Radcliffe's unacceptable behavior at the plaza!"

There was absolute silence on the deck as he said so. Alex went on, "Set that aside, but there was one more outrageous thing Corporal Radcliffe and his 'friends' did."