SIXTEEN

The day after, Hans and his troop, with two men from Weselton, arrived at Elsa's palace at dawn. Hans briefed, "We are here to find Queen Elsa and get her back to Arendelle: ALIVE!"

He walked up closer to the men, demounting the horse and looking each one in the eye, "Alive. You understand?"

"Yes, Prince Hans!" the soldiers complied—all except the ones from Weselton. A mass of snow rose out of the ground behind Hans.

"Go away!" rumbled Marshmallow in a heavy voice. He slammed his fist inches away from Hans. The entire troop took up arms against Marshmallow. He quickly knocked Hans' horse. Marshmallow raised his leg to stomp him, but he barrel-rolled out of the way. Hans spotted his sword and jumped to grab it. Just then, Elsa peeked out of the front doors.

"The Queen!" identified one soldier from Weselton and began to charge up the stairs.

They burst into the ice doors, armed with crossbows. Elsa fled further up her palace stairway, and the men pursued. They trapped her on the top floor and raised their crossbows.

"No. Please." pleaded a scared Elsa as she held up her hands in defense.

One of the men shot an arrow right at her. At the last moment, she erected an ice wall and stopped the arrow. It almost hit her face. The men negotiated to take another shot.

"Stay away!" warned Elsa, growing steadfast. She shot ice at them. Ducking out of the way, the soldiers continued to try and attack her.

"Get her, get her!" one thug motioned to the other. Elsa fought for her life.

Back outside, Marshmallow nearly crushed Hans, but he rolled away. He jumped to his feet and, with agile might, sliced Marshmallow's leg off with his sword. Marshmallow stumbled back and lost balance. He fell over the cliff—but not before striking Hans and breaking part of the bridge. Hans hung from the ice steps.

"Prince Hans!" Some of his soldiers helped him up. He continued into the palace. Elsa was trapped—It was her last chance. In two swift moves, she trapped one man in a cage of spikes that threatened his neck. She pushed back the other man with a wall of ice up against the balcony doors. The doors burst open, and he was about to fall to his death.

Back inside, Hans rushed in with his guards and witnessed the destruction and the men near death.

"Queen Elsa!" he began. "Don't be the monster they think you are."

Elsa snapped out of her rage and looked around at the frightened men who were moments away from death. The wall retracted from the balcony, and the ice spikes lowered away from the other man. He, however, took advantage and aimed his crossbows at Elsa's back. Hans took notice, alarmed—this wasn't part of the plan. Just as the soldier pulled the trigger, Hans pushed the crossbow up as it released. The arrow hit the chandelier, hanging directly above Elsa. Diving out of the way as the chandelier came crashing down, she was instantly knocked unconscious.

Hours later, she opened her eyes to find herself in a dungeon. She looked out a nearby window and tried to rush to it but was pulled taut by shackles that fitted like iron gloves. Elsa strained the length of her chains to get a glimpse out the window. Outside, she saw Arendelle frozen solid and getting further buried under the snow and ice. Her eyes darted around the place in distress.

"No... What have I done?" Hans entered and hung a torch by the door.

"Why did you bring me here?" asked Elsa.

"I just couldn't let them kill you."

"I'm a danger to Arendelle. Get Anna," instructed Elsa.

"Anna has not returned."