2am

Jungwon had disappeared in the middle of the night, leaving Jay confused and more lost than ever.

The Alpha had mentioned his parents and before explaining anything else, he simply said he needed to check something.

Jay had seen the despair in his eyes, and knew that Jungwon had to go, but it broke his heart when the latter refused Jay's help. He said he needed to do whatever he needed to alone.

Jay had tried to insist, but after a second refusal he accepted to stay back.

But it killed him.

As soon as he closed the front door on Jungwon, who had also refused that Jay called a cab, he felt worried.
It was quite late, and Jungwon was alone.

But what could he have done?

Broken Jungwon's trust and following him?
Respected Jungwon's wish to be alone but feel empty inside?

Jay sighed.

Deep in his heart, he had a weird tingle that something was off. The way Jungwon's had looked at him as he had mentioned his parents felt too heavy.

What if they don't want him to be seen with an Omega?
He told me not to let them know he was here before...
He said he lived alone
Perhaps it's a metaphor for them working late?

Many questions turned around endlessly in Jay's mind, and he couldn't answer any of them.
He didn't know how much time had passed and it didn't really matter. His parents were asleep, and he should be in bed already as well.

But this tingle..

Jay took his phone and opened up the chat, only to notice that Jungwon had changed the name of his contact without Jay even noticing it.

•Infinite🐈•

Jay🐈‍⬛
Hey
Are you okay?
I'm worried

Jay sighed. He didn't know if Jungwon would answer. He simply silently prayed that he would.
The weight in his chest was back and Jay felt feverish. He had noticed that the weight seemed to fade whenever Jungwon was around. However the feverish state was something new.

Jay tried to explore it mentally, focusing on the starting point. However he couldn't find it.

This feeling didn't seem to come from him at all. It felt further away, but echoed in Jay.
If that thought was true, well, it could only mean one thing.

Jungwon isn't okay.

Jay looked at his phone once more. Tuesday had started two hours ago, and in less than four hours he would have to wake up to go to school.

However, who cared about school when Jay felt like Jungwon was feverish?

That's right, no one.

Well, maybe Jay's parents wouldn't allow him to sneak out at 2am on a school night. The Omega put his hoodie on and sneaked out the window as silently as possible.

Jay had started jogging a year ago and knew he could reach Jungwon's apartment pretty soon.
He simply needed a good playlist.

The Omega started fast walking to warm up his body as he selected which songs he wanted to listen to.
It had to start with Ateez' Rocky, and go on to The Real, Wonderland, Cyberpunk and Guerrilla.

~

As Jay reached Jungwon's building, he felt his phone buzzing in his pocket.

Infinite✨ was calling him.

"Hey" answered Jay, panting.
"Jay?" asked Jungwon. "Are you okay?"
"Yeah, yeah" replied the Omega, catching his breath. "What's up?"
"I'm so glad you picked up. I know it's late, and we do have school tomorrow but.." started Jungwon.

Jay could feel the anxiety rising at each word that Jungwon's spoke.
His gut was right. Something was off.

"Could I come over?" asked Jungwon. "I'm freaking out."
"No need" said Jay. "I'm here."
"What?" replied Jungwon.

The Omega heard strange noises on the other side of his phone and soon saw a familiar face on a window, four floors up.

"Jay..." whispered the Alpha, before unlocking the front door for Jay to enter the building.

~

The apartment was as Jay remembered, but now that he wasn't almost fainting from pain, he definitely noticed a lot more details than before.
At the entrance, he only noticed two pairs of shoes: the ones Jungwon used to go to school and a pair of used grey sneakers.
At the right of the entrance hall, Jay noticed a bathroom, but Jungwon guided him towards the kitchen.
The very same place in which the Alpha had taken Jay's previous canines out.
Jay could see the kitchen opening up to a living room space, with a couch and a tv, but right now, something more important had caught his attention.

The kitchen table was a mess.

There was a big box opened up in the middle, and documents and pictures scattered all around. Jay would have loved to visit the apartment properly, however now was the time for the mystery box.

"So, uhm, this is what my parents gave me" said Jungwon, in a whisper.

Jay heard the pain in his voice and instantly walked over Jungwon and hugged him. He didn't expect the Alpha to react the way he did.
Instead of staying still, or hugging him back. Jungwon clung to his neck.
A sigh left the Alpha's mouth and soon Jay felt drops on his shoulder.

"It's okay" he whispered, patting Jungwon.
"No, you don't get it" added the Alpha.

Jay frowned. The weird tingle was back again.

"My parents.. passed away four years ago" said Jungwon. "This box is the only thing I have left of them."