Good night

"My parents.. passed away four years ago" said Jungwon. "This box is the only thing I have left of them."

Jay, who was still hugging Jungwon, froze.
He had imagined a thousand reasons so as why Jungwon had left his house earlier. He had pictured Jungwon's parents in several scenarios, but never could he have guessed that Jungwon was actually an orphan.

"Jungwon... I'm so sorry" whispered Jay.
"Their lawyer told me it was a car accident" whispered Jungwon, burying his face in Jay's shirt. "But after the story you told me earlier..."

Jay didn't say anything. What could he possibly say?

"It got me thinking" added Jungwon.

His voice had changed. It sounded more determined. The whining tone had disappeared and suddenly Jungwon didn't seem so tiny anymore.

"I don't think it was an accident anymore" said Jungwon, ending the hug.
"How can you know?" asked Jay.

Jungwon got closer to the table and started looking for something.

"The same lawyer gave me this box and told me to open it when the time was right. To be honest I always told myself I'd never open it" continued Jungwon. "It seemed to painful."

Jay nodded. He couldn't completely understand everything Jungwon had gone through, but the link they shared allowed him to receive a little of Jungwon's emotions.
Saying that the Alpha was overwhelmed was an understatement.

"But you know.. Tonight felt like the time had come. When you said that couples like us had already been tracked and killed, I needed to make sure that my parents died because of an accident" said Jungwon.

He pulled out a letter, and showed Jay the signature.

Love, your Infinite

"That's my mom's handwriting" whispered Jungwon. "This is the first clue I found."
"You called me like that earlier" noticed Jay.
"Yes, now I remember that my parents used to call each other like" explained Jungwon. "Back then, I just assumed it was a cute couple nicknames like sweetie or honey."

Jay nodded. That did make sense.

"But then I found this" said Jungwon, showing an envelope.

To our Jungwon

Jay gasped. Jungwon's parents had written a letter for their son. The envelope was opened, so Jay assumed the Alpha had already read the letter.

"In here they explain that they shared a "forbidden" love" continued Jungwon. "They don't mention the Mark, but my mom stated that she was an Alpha and my dad an Omega, that they were perfect for each other and that this represented a threat for the society we live in."

"I think it's clear enough" whispered Jay. "Does that mean that you're an heir to the first Infinite couple?"

It hit Jungwon like a truck.
He had been so focused on his parents that he hadn't thought about the whole context that the discovery had unlocked.

"Oh boy" said Jungwon.
"Do you want to sit down?" asked Jay, concerned for him.

Jungwon let himself fall on the chair.

"I've never met my mother's parents" he slowly whispered. "Only my father's."
"Maybe the gene is transmitted through the Alpha's dna?" asked Jay.

Jungwon stayed silent. All of this was too much for him. The realization that Jay and him were considered as a danger, that his parents had been killed, that he came from a very long lineage of Infinite Alpha's.
It was too much.

"Wonie?" asked Jay. "Will you be okay going to bed now? We are both tired and this is a lot. We should take time to process everything."

Jungwon nodded absently.
Nothing did make sense anymore.

"I can stay here with you, if you want" said Jay. "So that you're not alone."

Jungwon nodded again, but this time, he looked at Jay.

"Won't your parents worry?" asked the Alpha.
"I'll call them tomorrow morning to explain, don't worry about it" said Jay, softly smiling at Jungwon.

That settled it.

Jay helped Jungwon move from the chair. Jungwon gave Jay a toothbrush and a pajama, and they brushed their teeth together.
Jay was growing worried about the Alpha, who hadn't said anything else since the kitchen talk.

The Omega was ready first. He let Jungwon use the bathroom privately and headed for the living room. He found a blanket on Jungwon's couch and started installing himself on said couch.

He heard Jungwon flushing and a few seconds later the Alpha came his way.

"Oh, okay" he mumbled, looking at Jay.
"Good night" whispered Jay, with a smile.
"Good night" said Jungwon, entering his room, right next to the living room.
The Alpha left the door open and crawled in his bed.

I should have kissed him goodnight..
Why didn't I kiss him goodnight?

Ugh

Jay checked his phone and growled when he saw the clock. He nonetheless set up his alarm as he usually did on a school night.
He would regret it in the morning for sure.

Damn..
It's past 3 in the morning, I'm on Jungwon's couch, and I can't sleep...

Jay sighed. He needed to sleep. In less than three hours, he would have to wake up to go to school.

Fifteen minutes, and then thirty minutes passed, and Jay was still wide awake.
His thoughts had quickly shifted from the prospect of being tired in school to the thread of being killed any day now because he loved Jungwon.

How is this fair?
How can we dodge this?

Jay buried his face in the pillow.
He felt terrified. He only had been with Jungwon for a day, but he knew he wouldn't be able to exist without the Alpha anymore.
And separating them wasn't an option.

Or is it?
If we don't stay together, well... Jungwon would be safe. He can't get killed because of me.
I'll have to think about it.
But if it's the only solution..

I'll have to break up with Jungwon

Jay's heart broke into a million pieces. The decision hadn't been taken yet, but as a tornado of negative thoughts had taken control of him, he couldn't see a better solution.
Even if it was the most painful thing he had to do,  he would endure it for Jungwon.

"Jay"

The whisper had been just loud enough for Jay to hear.

"Yes" replied the latter.
"Could you sleep next to me?" asked Jungwon.

Jay closed his eyes, trying to find the strength to say no.
Which he never found.
Instead, the Omega got up and walked in Jungwon's bedroom.

"Are you sure?" asked Jay.

The room was dark, but Jay's pupils could see everything clearly. Jungwon was balled up in the corner of the bed.

"Please" said Jungwon.

Jay laid down, and Jungwon turned himself to hug Jay. The Omega smiled, overwhelmed by the perfect Mango scent surrounding him.
He moved as well, until they were both in a comfortable position, which was kind of a face to face spooning situation. Jungwon's had even passed his right leg on top of Jay's.

"By the way" whispered Jungwon. "Don't even think about breaking up with me."
"What?" asked Jay, confused.
"I smelled your thoughts from here" whispered Jungwon.

Jay froze, still not used to this connection.

"We'll find a way" said Jungwon. "Together."
"You're right" agreed Jay. "I'm sorry."

Jungwon closed his eyes, finally relaxing the muscles of his face. He was tucked in Jay's warm arms and he felt safe.

Jay kissed the Alpha's forehead goodnight and fell asleep.