Chapter 2

Around two in the morning everyone decided to go to bed

Around two in the morning everyone decided to go to bed. However, Elena remained restless and wasn't ready to retire to her room. After she finished washing some dishes in the kitchen, she stepped outside in the wilderness, and walked up the dock toward the lake. A large full moon had cast its silvery reflection in the dark, velvety water. The tranquil sound of wildlife was soothing as she closed her eyes and lost herself in a quiet reverie.

Music was echoing from the lit up cottage across the water, and even though Elena did not recognize the song, she enjoyed listening to it.

          I need your love and light…

The female vocalist sang her evocative lyrics while crickets chirped in the background, accompanying her. The song was just so romantic and moving. Elena felt a dull ache inside, as something pulled at her heartstrings. A cool breeze danced through her hair and forced her to rub her arms to keep warm. She looked up at the sky and admired the millions of sparkling stars that twinkled above her on a canvas of black. She felt so small in the vast universe and wondered what other power existed beyond. Another gust of wind blew right through her, and just as Elena was about to head back, she felt a something wrap around her shoulders: the white shawl she had left inside.

No, it can't be… Her heart almost stopped. She feared to turn around and find him behind her.

"You shouldn't be alone out here, sweetheart."

That deep sexy English accent gave him away. Elena dropped the shawl and stepped closer to the edge of the dock to distance herself from the radiating heat of his body.

"I really wish you'd stop calling me that," she said. "I'm not your sweetheart."

"Old habits die hard," Klaus replied.

"So they say," Elena muttered. She dared not face him and feared that her body would only desire so much more than what they had experienced during that monumental kiss. "Aren't you supposed to be sleeping next to your bride to be?" she voiced in a mawkish way.

"I got hungry and noticed that you were outside."

She turned around this time and frowned offensively. "So you thought you'd come out here and feed on me?"

Klaus rolled his eyes. "Allow me to rephrase that. I got hungry—so naturally, I crept to the kitchen to grab a blood bag—and then I noticed that you were standing on the dock all by your lonesome." He smiled smugly. "Better?"

She looked at him, distrusting his intentions. "Well, I'm fine. You can go back inside, now."

All she could feel was that undeniable sexual tension and Elena didn't trust herself anymore to keep her hands off him. The buttons of his black shirt were completely undone, and the grooving muscles of his abdominals only enticed her further. She wanted to touch him. She wanted to kiss him again, but that would have been wrong; so very, very wrong.