Chapter 4

There was so much awkward tension between Klaus and Elena that even her friends had started to pick up on it

"Did you guys fight or something?" asked Care, while she loaded the dishwasher.

Elena was helping her, and she felt so horrible for keeping this secret from her. She knew that if she told Caroline, she would lose her friendship with her forever. There were some things a person could not forgive, and this, was one of those things. She had slept with her best friend's man, and the worst part was that Elena wanted more.

"Well?" said Care, as she closed the dishwasher.

"Yeah, we sort of had a fight."

"I knew it. What was it about this time?"

"You know-stupid trivial things-like speeding."

"I'll have to have another chat with him. I'm sorry, Elena. I shouldn't have pushed him to go with you."

Please don't apologize to me, Elena thought to herself. I should be apologizing to you. I'm such a terrible friend.

"I'm going to take a shower," said Elena.

"But didn't you already shower when you got up?"

"Yes, but it's so humid today and I hate feeling sticky."

"Good point. I guess that explains why Klaus jumped into the shower as soon as he got home."

Poor, innocent Caroline. She was so oblivious.

Maybe I really am like Katherine, Elena despaired as she walked out of the kitchen.

<///\\\>

Caroline hated how moody Klaus was all evening. She kept trying to get him to open up to her and tell her why he liked to pick so many fights with Elena. But in the end they wound up having an explosive argument outside, which left Caroline in tears. She couldn't stand the way he'd snap and lose his temper.

Elena had been sitting on the couch with her friends, drinking a glass of wine when she noticed Caroline storm inside and slam the screen door behind her.

"Looks like they've had another fight," said Bonnie.

"Like they always do," Rebekah sighed.

Before Elena could get up, Bonnie went after their friend to make sure she was all right.

"I can't blame her," Bekah added. "He really is a handful. No one can tame that hybrid temper."

Elena frowned and gulped back the rest of her wine before she set it on the coffee table and got to her feet.

"Where are you going?" asked Matt.