Chapter 11

ELENA

It felt good to be back in Mystic Falls... mostly because I was away from Klaus. I just couldn't trust myself around him, nor could I trust him around me. I wished I could erase that week I spent at the lake house, but I couldn't. I felt like the most horrible person in the world because I slept with my best friend's fiancé and she still had no idea. I was so afraid to tell Caroline. She'd never want to speak to me again. Aside from my guilt and self-loathing, I felt at ease knowing I wouldn't have to be around the one person I loved to hate and hated to love. I had betrayed myself in more ways than one. Writing in my diary about all the sordid details wasn't going to help one bit.

Bonnie left the country a few days ago. Her sudden trip to Europe seemed so abrupt... I felt like she was hiding something, but she'd insisted that she had to go to her cousin's funeral.

I turned off the tap and stared at myself in the mirror, surrendering to the chaos in my mind. Klaus's voice suddenly echoed in my ears:

We're not all that different, you and I... We both possess the ability to break the people we love... We self-sabotage...

He was right. As much as I hated to admit it. I was destructive to myself and everyone around me. All my friends and family just loved me way too much to admit my biggest flaws.

I'm not Katherine....

Maybe I should turn you and find out...

I wiped a fallen tear and tried to forget about that bitter conversation I'd had with Klaus.

As I flicked off the light, I opened the bathroom door and nearly had a heart attack.

"... You've been avoiding me, Elena."

He stood up and sauntered toward me. I was vulnerable, helpless prey in his presence.

"You shouldn't be here," I said to him, feeling my guards go up.

"I'm exactly where I need to be." He reached for my face, but I immediately stepped back before his fingers caressed my cheek.

"I want you to leave, Klaus."

"Or else?" He simpered. "What are you going to do, Elena? Cry wolf?" His grin was as sinister as his dark disposition, but incredibly seductive by nature.

"Don't you get it? Everything that happened between us was a mistake! A big fat fucking mistake!"

His twisted smile never disappeared as he folded his arms in his chest and said, "I love it when you curse, love. It's sexy."

I grew angry and told him that I wasn't trying to be sexy, though I guess it didn't help that I was only wearing black panties and a crop top with no bra on. It was late and I'd been planning on going to sleep.

"I'm calling off the wedding," he said. "I came here because I-"

"You can't call off the wedding!" I cut him off before he could finish. "Caroline is going to be devastated! We've already been through this!"

Klaus seemed to keep his composure as he edged closer to me. My heart began to race and a swirling heat began to spread between my thighs. This was dangerous: him being so close to me.

"Stop," I said, backing into a wall.

"Stop what?" He smirked.

"Stop where you are."

But he ignored my request and closed what little space remained between us and rested his palms above my head. I was trapped and felt so paralyzed to resist, as his lips came closer to mine.