Chapter 2

~ KIDNAPPED LOVE ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~      North Denver, November 1978~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

North Denver, November 1978
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I met up with Gwen after school like I always do. She was gliding her hand on the fence line as we walked home. It made a loud racket but I didn't complain. My eyes look over and I see the three assholes from earlier. Gwen seemed to have noticed them as well. She's the only one who knows about them and what they are doing.

They were talking when the redhead saw me and mumbled something to the others that made them turn around to look at me. My stomach dropped a little but I kept moving on.

"What was that?" Gwen asked.

I let out a sigh. "Nothing."

"I'm staying over at Susie's tonight. It's Friday, so you know what that means." She changed the topic.

"I'll look after Dad," I reassured her.

"I'll be home in the morning. And you better not eat all the ice cream!" she warned me before we officially parted ways.

Friday nights she goes to her friend's house and because dad always forgets or he does something stupid, I watch after him so she can have fun. I don't mind because I never really have things planned. Of course, today I'm going to see Robin but I make sure not to stay out too late.

Gwen luckily doesn't get bullied much. I don't know if it's because she has that charm or that "smart" mouth but people are always drawn toward her. Not to the point where she's popular but not so low that she isn't ignored.

I'm what they call a nerd and a wallflower. I don't tend to hang around people too much except for people I know and trust like Gwen and Robin. I'm really big into space science and I even have a rocketship that I try to test out every Saturday. The highest it's gone is about 25 feet. All summer I was making improvements.

I get kicked out of my thoughts when I hear close footsteps behind me. My head turns and I see Matty and his gang following me. Shit, when do they ever just take a break?

"Hey, Finney," Matty calls to me.

"Shit," I muttered under my breath.

I bolt as fast as I can and turn the corner. My mind is trying to think of places I can run to for cover but no good options come to mind. I hear them getting closer and closer. I'm losing my breath but I keep pushing because it's pretty obvious I don't want to get a beating.

Before I can swerve, I feel a pull on my shirt and I fall backward and onto the floor. I try taking Matty down with me but he catches himself before he can fall.

Now he's towering over me and his two friends are right by my head. I look up at him before he even says anything.

"I think we owe you a beating," Matty snickers.