Chapter 13

~ Kidnapped Love ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In the car,Heading to school~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the car,
Heading to school
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a week since Robin and I escaped. As anyone would expect, it's been hell: the nightmares, the paranoia, and the guilt. Everything else was different too. Dad was changing positively but it felt odd and was another change that I couldn't take in properly.

I took the week off from school since I knew I couldn't go back right away. Robin, on the other hand, went back two days after we got home. His mom begged him to stay home but insisted he was fine and wanted to attend school. I knew he was lying. The reason he was going was because he needed to keep his image.

If he took too long, people would think he was weak. They would give him shit because that's the only thing they can attack him for. It's draining for him. He comes over to my house every day after school. Sometimes to talk. Sometimes to nap. And sometimes to cry.

He's tough but he's not immune to sad or overwhelming feelings. That's what I've learned about both of us. We were kids that got forced into things that I don't think adults could even process properly.

Today was my day to show my face in school though. I knew Robin would get all the credit for killing The Grabber. I didn't mind that honestly. It seemed more believable and it would be more proof that he's strong. I didn't mind going back to the normal routine of running and hiding. It would be a comforting factor since that will never change.

I wore an olive green long-sleeved shirt with blue jeans. I did my hair nice and I felt good. Dad wanted to drive me to school. He wanted me to feel safe on my first day back. I didn't mind. It did help my nerves honestly. Gwen and I were sitting in the back talking about our new route home.

"If we go down Maple Street and turn into Buddle Lane, it would only add about five minutes onto our usual time," Gwen commented.

"Sounds good to me. Are you still going to go to your friend's house on Fridays?" I asked.

"Maybe. I might move it to Saturdays instead. So you aren't walking home from school alone." I could see the gears in her head turning.

"You don't have to move your days around for me, you know," I reassured her.

"Yeah, I know. I want to be with you. Plus it doesn't have to be forever. Just until everything goes back to normal."

That got me thinking. Will we ever go back to "normal"? I know it will never go back to the way it was but will it ever get remotely close? Im sure the nightmares, paranoia, and panic feelings will go away over time but will my daily schedule, interests, and relationships become the same again?

There were things like dad sobering up that I was glad was changing but lately I haven't had much of an interest in things like making rockets or baseball games like I used to. I just want to lay in bed or stay inside where I know it's safer.