Chapter 8

~ Kidnapped Love ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                   By the phone,             Grabbers basement  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                   By the phone,
             Grabbers basement 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why not?" I turn around to look at Robin.

    "It's a trap." His voice didn't sound like Bruce's.

    "Are you...are you Bruce?" I asked.

    "Who is Bruce?" I turned back around to look at the phone stand.

    "Uh, I was just talking to Bruce."

    "I don't know any Bruce."

This made no sense to me. Why is it someone new? Who even is this person? It has to be real but every time something seems solid, it changes.

    "He's the baseball player."

    "We don't play baseball here."

    I turned back to Robin. "Who are you?"

    "I don't remember."

Robin was looking at me with a patient but confused face. You could tell he wanted to know what was going on but he was willing to wait till after the phone call. I nodded my head to show him that it was okay and he gave me a reassuring nod back.

    "Did you play soccer? Football?" I tried to find anything I could to know who this person was.

    "I delivered newspapers" That made me realize.

There has been a disappearance for a while now. The most popular on my radar were Bruce and Robin of course. But the first one was a boy named Griffin. Then Billy. Billy the Paperboy. The only thing left behind during his kidnapping was his bike and his dog.

    "Billy." I finally voiced. "You're Billy Showalter"

This grabbed Robin's attention and he walked closer to me. I think he also didn't expect the call to be from someone different.

    "Maybe." He sounded like he was in thought but also like he didn't care. Maybe he didn't believe me.

    "No, you're Billy."

    "Do not....go upstairs." He warned again.

    "What is he doing?

    "He's waiting...on the other side with that fucking belt." His anger built up a bit. "He didn't say you can leave, so if you try he'll punish you and your friend. He'll beat you with that belt until you pass out. It hurts, kid. It hurts bad. You'll cry. You'll beg him to stop. We all did." Shivers run down my spine. "But he just keeps beating you." Then the phone hung up.

    "Hello?" A moment of silence. "Hello?" There was absolutely nothing.

I pull the phone from my face and walk over to the receiver in defeat. He gave me so much information yet so little. Something to keep us safe but nothing to help up escape. I felt defeated and angry.