Chapter 25: Downhill

I missed him beyond words. I slept past my alarm and missed saying bye to Harry, though I vaguely remember him leaning down to kiss me bye before he left. When I woke up it was nearly noon, and I couldn't remember the last time I slept in this late.

I walked into his kitchen and on the counter were his keys and a note.

I didn't want to wake you, seeing as I kept you up so late. Miss you. Miss your smile. Miss the way you taste, but most importantly I miss your bum.

be home soon, make sure to lock up, come back whenever you want.

x Harry

I couldn't help but laugh and roll my eyes. I walked over to his coffeemaker, turning it on and making some coffee. I opened up the fridge and got out the leftover bacon and some toast and butter.

I ate everything quickly before heading to the room and calling my mom as I changed into an old pair of jeans, and quickly stealing a band tea from Harry.

"Hi mija, are you still coming over?" She said in Spanish,

I slipped my shoes on, walking over to the bathroom to wash my face quickly and brush my teeth, I felt frazzled and was doing everything out of order, "Yeah mom, I'm heading there in a bit. I just woke up."

"That's a surprise. Is Harry coming?" She chuckled softly, coughing a bit too long for my liking.

"Mom, are you okay?" I tried to keep my voice calm.

"Yes mija, I'm eating pan dulce. Now don't change the subject, is Harry coming."

"No mami, he's in New York." I mumbled with my toothbrush in my mouth.

"Mmm, I miss him."

"You saw him once!" I giggled.

"He made an impression." I could feel her smile and she coughed again.

"Mom, are you sure you're okay?"

"Margarita stop, I'm fine. In fact I want to go out for dinner tonight, your treat."

I laughed grabbing my bags and the house keys, "Oh my treat? That easy?"

"I was in labor for 48 hours with you Margarita Santiago."

We both laughed, "Okay, okay you and Becca pick a place. I need to stop at my apartment to grab more clothes and I'll be there soon."

"Margarita, what do you mean? Aren't you home?"

My eyes widen and I stay silent on the phone. I know I'm a grown ass woman, but my mom knowing I spent the night with Harry was not the conversation I wanted at the moment."

"I was out, I had to run errands."

"Maggie, I heard you brush your teeth."

"Mami, there is so much traffic, I'll see you soon, pick a place, love you!" I hung up quickly and shook my head, locking up Harry's house.

When I got to my moms house she was asleep on the couch and Becca was calling me over to the kitchen, her finger in front of her mouth telling me to stay quiet.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"It's mom, she's been coughing up a lung all night. She wouldn't let me call you, and even threatened Charles when he called to check up on her last night."

"I knew it, she was coughing really bad when I called. So I'm guessing you want me to convince her to go to the doctor."

She nodded, biting her lip, "I'm sorry Mags, but she never listens to me. I had to convince her that it was her idea to put her medicine in the weekly container so she wouldn't forget."