[32]

It is not long before I make it back to the entrance of the Redwoods. My brother has been tailing me thinking I have not noticed. How dumb do they really think I am? My father would never allow for me to come back here alone—not after our conversation. I said I would give him what he wants and I meant it. If he wants to instigate a fight with them, it is best to give them notice, so they can put an end to it quickly. I am tired of this now and just want it all to be over with so I can focus all of my attention on my mate and my children like they deserve. No more of this. No more. 

 After coming back here with Lance, I realized I travel better alone and at night both which I could not do when I was with Lance and his father. Towards the end we had to slow down because Lance was becoming more exhausted. He never mentioned a word of this to me, but I knew. 

I run a hand through my hair and let out a long languid sigh. How is he doing? Is his father behaving? Is he really okay with talking to him? I should have been there. He always says he is fine when most of the time he isn't. It is crazy how skilled he has become with masking his emotions. I do not want that for him...

Instead of heading in the direction I came in the last time,  I take a less traveled route to the Old Man's quarters. I cannot fight the desire to see Lance and Emery despite everything else. I will speak to the Old Man but I must see how they're both doing. It is killing me not knowing. 

There is faint resulting coming from the trees and thick brushes. Anyone with an untrained ear would think they were small forest creatures pit pattering across the forest floor. However, I know that is not right. Watchers are hidden in the nearby trees, but they continue to look onward without bothering me. I know they also sense some of my clansmen tailing me but they do nothing.

It is not long before a house crops up into view. From here I can recognize the moss-grown roof and the colorful chimes hanging from the the balconies. Of course a bellow of chimney smoke appears above. He must be having Ophelia cook up something inside instead of outside. Emery can be a bit of handful. I smile at the thought of seeing him again and what trouble he has gotten himself into with the Old Man. 

When I reach the front door  someone instantly opens it. I expect it to be Lance, but I knew without a doubt it would be the Old Man. He glares at me with the same green eyes I share with his arms crossed. If he could burn holes through me, I am sure he would. 

"What are you doing back here so soon?" he growls. 

"There is going to be bit of trouble..."

The Old Man raises a brow before closing the door behind him. I wanted to see Lance and Emery but I suppose that may have to wait until later. He nudges me back towards the forest going deeper in the redwoods which I willingly oblige. I have no choice even if I don't want to.

"Your father?" he asks.

I nod and say, "and brother..."

"Xavier?"

"Yes."

The Old Man stops walking and gives me a look. "Are you sure you want to do this? They are still blood to you..."

"No," I mumble. "Not anymore."

Time and time again I have given them the benefit of the doubt. I have tried coexisting with them. I have tried compromise and turning the other cheek. However, I will not ever let them take anything else that is precious to me. I clench my fists and suck in my cheek. He dared to threaten me with my child even? This I cannot ever forgive. 

The Old Man raises his left hand signaling to a couple watchers hidden nearby to reveal themselves from the cover of the trees. None of them I am all too familiar with which is strange but not so strange knowing how he is—secretive and cunning. Four wolves in total come and bow their heads.