[29]

I watch Lance's father close as I continue to trail behind with Lance through the encampment. Although we made a deal, I do not trust him. Every now and again he will cock his head to the side to see if we are behind him which only makes Lance move closer to me.

"Must we do this?" Lance whispers with anger laced in his voice.

I keep my eyes trained on the back of Hallen's head and mumble, "it's just for now."

"I do not want him near Emery, Seth. I don't want him to meet him."

"Lance, I know. But my grandfather can help us."

"I don't want his—"

I turn and grab Lance's hand and look him the eyes. "I do not want this to continue. I want all of this to end. Both my issues and yours. I don't want to hide anything from you anymore. And I don't want to ever see such an expression on your face again."

His eyes lower but I bring his chin up with my thumb.

"You said to give you some of my burdens and I am... I will. I just want to be sure you can handle all that will be said when we get there."

"And what is it exactly?"

I lower my eyes for a moment before looking back at him. "Keeping us separate from the other packs beyond those redwood trees." 

Hallen turns around and looks at the two of us with contempt.

"I will tell you more when the time is right, but, for now, just trust me," I whisper before he comes and gets between us.

"What are you two whispering about over here?" Hallen glares at me. "Do not put nonsensical ideas in my son's head."

He tries to grab Lance's wrist but Lance smacks his hand away from him.

"Don't touch me."

"How much longer are we going to be at this? I am trying to make amends!"

Birds flew up from the forest at his utterance. My eyes widen as his voice carries on the wind.

"Amends? Amends?" Lance's voice rises. "You cannot think for one moment you can right all the wrongs you have done to me with a simple apology!"

I rush over to him and cover his mouth. "Stop it. We are making too much noise. They will hear us."

Lance bites down on my hand causing me to hiss and look at him.

"Then let them hear. Let them come. I refuse to accept any more help from this man. I'm sorry, Seth. I can't do it. I can't."

"Insolence!" his father says as he goes and tries to cover the little distance separating the two of them.

There was no time for me to get in between them. However, Lance pushes him away as easily as swatting a fly.

"You really do not want to try your luck with me. It will not be as it was before," Lance spat.

"Ohoho, is that so? Lance, what power you have comes from me. I may not be alpha of any pack anymore but the power is there. Power passed down from generations of alphas. I never once passed it onto you." Lance's glare only intensifies. "Not as long as I am alive."

"I suppose we are just going to have to fix that, now won't we?" 

"Lance, we need to just keep going. We're going to attract unwanted attention," I reason, but it falls on deaf ears.

Rustling comes from a house nearby causing the both of them to quiet. 

"Hide," Hallen says in a hushed tone.