[30]

The Redwood tree were springing up in the small distance. I can smell my pack mates circling around us. The padding of their feet and soft growls reverberates through the air. We only were allowed this far because of me, but I know the scent of northern wolves, like Lance and his father, set them on alert. In a moment, I know who will make their appearance. 

Collin steps out in front of me as my other pack mates surround us. So it would be Collin, huh? I suppose him and Ophelia must of hit it off in order for the old man to grant him this kind of large position. His brown eyes studies me before they flick over to Hallen and Lance. When I notice him lingering on Lance longer than I like, I block his view of him and glare. 

"They are with me."

"Bringing outsiders into our domain. You must have truly lost your mind along with your memories." He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes at me. "If the old man was not your great grandfather, your head would be somewhere up on a pike by now."

I roll my eyes already used to his nasty words to me. However, I must swallow it down. How can I not after asking Lance to do the same? 

"This is Lance and that's his father. He's only here to see Emery."

Collin's eyes widens. He looks back at Lance and then me again. "The kid is yours?"

I tuck in my lip and nod. "Now, let us through. Lance needs to rest."

Collin twirls his finger and whistles signaling them to go back. "This way. The way you are going now will be filled with traps."

I grab Lance's hand and bring him closer to me. With everyone's reaction to Emery I wonder how they would respond to another one? I smile at just the thought alone. I don't want to miss it. I don't want to miss any part of it this time. I want to be there for it all. Lance knows as well as I, I would wait hand and foot on him if only he would allow it. 

"I'm guessing the Old Man has been showing Emery off to everyone... " Lance says while beating down a smile. 

"Of course, he has. I wouldn't doubt it. He was excited by my birth, but he is sure to be doting on Emery. He came from you, after all, and he loves you." 

Lance bows his head and nods. "I know." 

Once we reach the entrance to inside the pack, I look over my shoulder at Hallen. He seems calm enough. Truly, he may only want to be here to see Emery. If that's the case, I have nothing to worry about. It's just the talk Lance will have with him. I don't want him to be upset and with me leaving... I want to be there to comfort him, at the very least. 

I flick my eyes over to Lance whose eyes are already set on me. "I will be okay, Seth. Really. After you see Emery, you do not have to stay here. You can go. Just tell me when you do." 

I bring his hand up to my lips and kiss it wishing it was his lips instead. "I will." 

He lets out a shaky sigh and turns his eyes away from me. I know he doesn't like it, but he's swallowing it down. I hate having to ask him to do that. His feelings do matter to me. They do, but I—I can't let them weigh on me. After this, I will never ask this of him again. 

"Should we pick out a name?" 

"A name?"

"One for if it's a girl and one for if it's a boy," Lance answers. He leans closer into me until our shoulders are touching. "I want you to pick one, this time."

I look at him, beating down the heat that's rising to my cheeks and let out a small laugh. "Should I tell you before I go?"

"That's fine, but... "