✿ CHAPTER SIX ✿

When we got home, I answered the door to a smiling man with a ridiculously long beard, who introduced himself as Albus Dumbledore

He informed Mum that he had spoken to the Minister of Magic who had agreed to lift The Trace off me, just until school went back, so that I could try to practice and perform a few basic spells and charms. Ginny, Ron, Harry, Fred and George and I had been going out to the field to practice every day. They taught me simple charms and complex charms, hexes and spells and jinxes. They still had The Trace on them, so they just worked as my test dummies, which was actually extremely entertaining.

By night I read The Standard Book of Spells Grades 1-4 and practiced almost every spell I read about. I was extremely anxious to be starting school three years behind everyone else. I even read Hogwarts: A History and A History of Magic, not wanting to be any further behind than I already. I even read things like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

One of the first spells I had been eager to try was the conservation charm, a spell which allowed a living object (namely plants) to survive in pristine condition for a long amount of time. I had looked it up in my spell books and practiced for ages on unnoticeable objects like singular blades of grass or leaves.
"Longissimo Conservato!" I said in a calm and even tone, pointing my wand at the white and pink blossom in my palm. I think back to only weeks ago when my wand had conjured the small flower up in Ollivanders Wand Shop. Mum told me that because it was made by magic, it would take at least two months before it began to wilt. However, that hadn't stopped me looking through every spell book I could get my hands on to search for this particular charm. I was determined to keep it forever, as a sort of sentiment. As a reminder of the beginning of my life. My new beginning.

I'd been told all about Quidditch, of course, and all us kids (apart from Charlie who has gone back to Romania), played matches in the fields surrounding The Burrow. Ron had told me everything that happened when they went to the Quidditch World Cup only a week before my arrival. I had my heart set on joining the Gryffindor Quidditch team since Harry said one of the chasers had graduated Hogwarts last year, so there would be an extra spot on the team, and tryouts would be held. Harry also told me I was great at flying, and anyone else trying out wouldn't have a shot. That I had blushed profusely at, turning a scarlet red and causing Ron to laugh uncontrollably.

Later that night, Ron approached me on the couch.
"Roo?" He said, calling me by the nickname Fred had come up with. Firstly, because my name was Ruby, and secondly, because he thinks I walk in a really bouncy way, like a kangaroo.
"Yeah, Ron?"
"You fancy Harry, don't you?" He smirked.
"I... I... I do NOT!" I spluttered, but I knew he had already caught me as I felt the heat rise in my cheeks. "Fine. Maybe a little. A teensy-tiny bit." I huffed, pinching my index finger and thumb together and leaving half an inch between them. He chuckled quietly.
"Roo?"
"Yeah?"
"I love you."
"I love you too, Ron."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Finally, after what seemed like years of waiting, September 1st arrived. I was stuffing my trunk, bursting with excitement.