Eight.

2018!

"Why can't vodka fix all my problems. It used to fix all my problems." Elena sighed, "God damn super solider serum stole the magic from vodka"

"Anyone ever tell you, you talk with your hands a lot?" Valkyrie asked, "Yes actually."

"Children Are Brutally honest about everything."Elena sated and  Valkyrie looked at her in question, "I taught first grade."

"And each of their tiny souls somehow managed to bruise my ego." Elena explained, "A first grade teacher, that's fitting."

"Yeah, it was. For a long time. I don't really know who I am anymore though." Elena spoke.

"Well, I believe we have a say in who we are. So you tell me, are you a first grade teacher?" Valkyrie asked.

"I want to be." Elena said softly, "I wish I could go back."

"To teaching?" Valkyrie asked, "In time." Elena shook her head, "I wanna be who I used to be. You know?"

"Yeah, I do. I wish I could be who I used to be too."

Elena turned her head, looking at Valkyrie but not pushing her to elaborate, that's what this...friendship? Is about.

"Are we friends?" Elena asked, "We've drank vodka together and talked, like really talked, so yes. I think we qualify as friends."

"Good. Apparently I need more friends, since I can't talk myself out of going a-wall and cutting bangs."

They laughed over that for a short amount of time before Elena stood up, "I'm going for a run" she announced, "You run....for fun?"

"Yes I do. And right now I'm just going to start crying if I sit here in this room any longer, so I'm going for a run." Elena stated, "You can come if you want, but based on your facial expression I assume you don't want to."

"Yeah, I think I'll pass this time around, Elena."

Unfortunately for Elena, her plan for not crying didn't work out well, halfway through her run, tears began to spill out of her eyes until the point where she literally sat down, right where she was standing and cried.

This of course just had to catch someone's attention, "Ellie?"

"Fuck." She muttered, "Are you alright."

"Physically, I'm fine." She stated, and met Tony's eyes, "You can go now,"

Instead, he sat down beside her, "I'm not talking about my feelings with you Tony."

"I'm not asking you to."

"Okay."

When tears continued to spill out of Elena's eyes Tony rubbed her back gently, "We'll be ok Ellie,"

"Yeah, I think we will."

"Come on," he held out a hand to help her up, she accepted it, moving to her feet.

"Wow, my whole running for fun thing, didn't last very long." Elena quipped, and Tony shook his head, "Maybe the bangs will grow out too," he teased, and she slapped his shoulder.

"It's not funny, Stark."

"Whatever you say, Ellie." He smiled, "So you and the space chic seem to be hitting it off."

"The space chic?" Elena asked, "You know the one, she's shorter than you. Kind of scary, drinks a lot."

"Valkyrie," Elena nodded, "Yeah, I guess we did. I made a friend, Tony. Are you proud?"

"Oh yes, but I would like to say that I was your friend first, I hope you're not replacing me."

"No one could ever replace you." Elena said teasingly, but they both knew she was at least partially serious.

"Pepper's pregnant." Tony stated, "Oh my god," Elena smiled, "Look at you, you're gonna be a dad."

"And you're going to be an aunt," Tony stated, "Well...maybe the god mother if that's something you're willing to do."

"Seriously?" She looked at him, beaming, "Yeah, Pepper said she wanted you, and I agreed."

"Ok, but no dying on me okay? I don't know how to raise a kid."

"I mean me neither, but deal."

"You'll be a great dad, Tony." Elena spoke, "I believe in you."

"Thank you."

        Elena had developed nightmares. So here she was, wide awake at three am, in the kitchen baking.

She had just pulled cupcakes out of the oven...they didn't look great. "This recipe is all wrong."she muttered. Elena was on her third batch and they still weren't right.

"You have flour all over you." Tony quipped and she snapped around, "Damn, you scared me."

"And yes, I'm aware." She turned around grabbing a cupcake, "here. Eat this."

"Okay?" He spoke taking it, "They just aren't right, I can't figure out what's missing." Elena sighed.

Tony took a bite, and shook his head in confusion, "These taste great."

"You are no help."

"Elena...maybe the cupcakes aren't the problem..." Tony trailed off, and the brunette narrowed her eyes at the man, "What do you mean?"

"It's three in the morning and you're baking." He deadpanned, "Well, you're awake too!"

"Not the point, coffee?" He offered her a mug, "We're you not just getting on me about being awake and baking?"

Tony shrugged and she took the mug, "Thank you."

Natasha entered the kitchen minutes later, "Woah. There's flour everywhere."

"Yup. Coffee?" Elena offered her a mug, and she took it, "This must be a thing in your family." Tony stated.

"What is?" Elena asked, "baking at three in the morning, after the invasion in 2012, I found red over here doing the same thing."

"You stress bake?" Elena asked, and Natasha shrugged, "Yeah a little."

"Here, taste this." Elena tossed Natasha a cupcake, "Maybe you can figure out what it's missing."

Natasha took a bite, "Vanilla extract." She stated.

"OH MY GOD! Thank you! I love you." Elena hugged her sister,  "You're welcome?"