Nine

2018!

Elena and Valkyrie fell asleep talking the previous night. And Elena was still passed out when someone knocked on the door, Valkyrie smiled at the brunette's sleeping form, standing up careful not to wake her.

Valkyrie opened the door revealing a brunette woman, that Valkyrie didn't recognize. Melina stared at her, for longer than Valkyrie would've liked before pushing past into the room.

"Elena my darling," Melina sat at the edge of her daughter's bed, "It's Mama."

Elena's eye fluttered open, and she smiled, but it was followed by a frown she sat up and leaned into Melina's arms.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, "I did everything I could, and now Yelena...and Alexei-"

"Do not apologize Elena. It isn't your fault, my darling." Melina stated, "I miss her." Elena whispered, "I know."

"What if we can't get them back? Like ever?" Elena questioned, "We take it one step at a time."

"Thank you for coming."

"Of course Elena, now come on, you must eat something, you look terrible."

"Thanks, Mama." She muttered, "Elena Luciana." Melina warned, "Sorry."

Melina was on to something when she told Elena she looked terrible. Because now staring at her reflection Elena realized just how right Melina was. When was the last time she hadn't eaten something? Suddenly she was feeling overwhelmed and jolted away from the mirror and out of the bathroom.

"You alright?" Valkyrie asked, "Oh- hi. Yes, I'm fine."

"Okay."

"So that woman is your mother?" Valkyrie asked, "Oh yeah- it's complicated."

"Family isn't really complicated. She's your mother. If she chooses to be your mother, and you chose to be her daughter. You're family, it's as simple as that."

"Yeah, you're right...again. Ok, I need to eat, you wanna come?" Elena arched an eyebrow at Valkyrie, "You should spend time with your mother."

"Please don't make me go by myself, I'll just end up making things emotional and dumb."

"And my presence will make things awkward. She stared me down, Elena."

"She stared you down? Oh hell- she probably thinks we're sleeping together. I am so sorry." Elena stated, "I will clear that up, again I am so so sorry."

"Val?" Elena asked noticing the woman staring off, "Valkyrie? You good?"

"Oh y-yeah. I'm great."

"Okay?"

"I did not have sex with her!" Elena exclaimed, "I said my mother thinks I had sex with her."

"So you didn't sleep with her?" Tony asked, "No!"

"Well that's boring, I thought something interesting was going on so.... are you gonna sleep with her?"

"No. I am not going to sleep with her Tony! We're friends, that's it!"

"So you're not attracted to her at all?" Tony asked, "I didn't say that!"

Tony laughed, and Elena rolled her eyes, "It's not funny. Now I have to deal with the fact that my mother thinks I slept with Valkyrie."

"You slept with Valkyrie?" Natasha asked, "No!"

"Jees it was just a question."

"Can we all just stop with the Valkyrie talk, please." Elena sighed.

"Sooo, Natasha," Ellie smiled sweetly, "Oh god, what do you want?"

"Please come eat breakfast with me and Melina?"

"Sounds good," Natasha smiled, "The two of you can have family time with your mother, I won't attend."

"Oh but dear sweet Tony, you are family." Natasha teased, "You widows are scary. Melina especially, I will be avoiding this for now."

"I'll let it slide if you stop asking me about Valkyrie." Elena stated.

"Deal."

"I know loss of family is hard. But you need to take care of yourself girls. Both of you look just awful." Melina spoke, "Thanks." Natasha spoke sarcastically.

"Natasha you are bleeding through your socks from countless hours of ballet and you, Elena, look like you haven't eaten is days." Melina deadpanned.

"Sorry Mama," they both apologized quietly, "Clearly you both need to be mothered so I will be making at least weekly check ins."

"Mama, you don't-"

"Yes I do."

"Now, can we talk about the woman who answered your bedroom door?" Melina asked, "Who is she and do I need to give her a talk?"

"Her name is Valkyrie and No you do not need to give her a talk. We're just friends."

"Ok." Melina nodded, "Ok?" Elena asked, "Wow, I thought you were going to fight me more on that."

"Why would I? I trust you."