Twenty-one.

When Natasha woke up in the shallow pool of water, she wished she hadn't. She opened her hand, the glowing orange rock hiding just underneath.

"Fuck." tears fell from her eyes, "We did it, sestra." she whispered to the air, "You did it."

She gave herself a minute, to just cry. 

But she had to go, time was limited, and she wasn't going to let Elena's sacrifice be in vain.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asked, "Are you telling me this actually worked?" Rhodey asked, for a second everything was okay. Until everyone's eyes fell on Natasha.

"Nat...where's Ellie?" Tony asked, and Natasha looked up, trying to stop the tears from flowing out of her eyes, she sat down, letting out a quiet pained breath, "I think I'm going to be sick," Natasha whispered, seconds before rushing out of the room.

Natasha closed herself into a bathroom, pacing around, her breathing erratic. She leaned against the sink, feeling like she could throw up at any second. She couldn't regulate her breathing, soon she was gasping for air.

"Natasha?" Tony knocked on the door, and she gasped, her back sliding down the wall, until she rested her head between her knees.

Tony entered the bathroom, moving down beside the woman, "I can't...I can't breath."

"Why can't I...why can't I-" 

"Natasha," Tony said softly, "Can you look at me?"

Natasha shook her head several times, still unable to breath, "Natasha," he gently reached his hand out knowing he'd end with a black eye, if he startled her by touching her. 

The red haired woman, grasped on to his hand, taking several deep, slow breaths to calm herself down, soon she laid her head against Tony's shoulder, completely exhausted.

"I tried to-," she whispered, and Tony shushed her gently, "Take a minute, Nat. Just take a minute."

"Did anyone tell Valkyrie yet?" Tony asked quietly, and Natasha shook her head, not wanting to speak, she sort of just clung to Tony's side. 

"What?" Thor asked, "Huh?"

"What are you doing?" Thor asked, "Just asked a question," Tony stated.

"Yeah, no. You're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones right? As long as we have the stones...Cap, we can bring her back. Isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're Avengers. Get it together."

"We can't get her back." Natasha cleared her throat, the image of Elena wouldn't leave her mind. Her baby sister was gone, "What?"

"It can't be undone." Natasha stated, "A soul for a soul."

Over the past five years, they had all grown close to Elena, some were close to her before though. Tony and Natasha, had been close with her long before the rest of them. "That's what the stupid red floating guy had to say."

Natasha could feel her breathing becoming labored again, so she took a deep breath, "It was supposed to be me."

Tony rubbed Natasha's shoulder, "She let go...she wasn't, she wasn't supposed to let go. It was supposed to be me."

"She's not coming back." Steve murmured, "She's gone. And we have to make this all worth it. Or she put her life down, for nothing."

"You don't have to tell Valkyrie, I'll do it." Tony said softly, and Natasha shook her head, "No...I have to do it."

"Are you sure?" Tony asked, "Yeah, it has to be me." Natasha stared off into space, "I'm here if you need me Nat."

"Oh my god." Natasha whispered softly, "Melina. I'm going to have to tell Melina that, she lost two of her daughters because I failed."

"You don't have to tell her now, Red. She's none the wiser, and right now, that may be for the best."

"Yeah," Natasha whispered, "Yeah."

Tony walked with Natasha to Valkyrie and Elena's room, "I changed my mind, I can't do this." Natasha shook her head, staring at the door.

"I'm right here, Red." Tony spoke, "It'll be okay."

Natasha knocked on the door softly, "Natasha?" Valkyrie's eyes met the woman and her heart dropped, "No," 

Valkyrie stepped back into the room a bit and Natasha, and Tony entered, "No," Valkyrie shook her head. 

"I'm so sorry, Valkyrie." Natasha spoke, "I need to know what happened." Valkyrie cut her off and Natasha exhaled sharply.

"Elena, she sacrificed herself, she sacrificed herself to save me, and everyone else." 

"That doesn't tell me what happened." Valkyrie stated, "We got to Vormir, and we were informed that the stone would need a sacrfice, 'that of which we love. a soul for a soul.'" Natasha whispered, tears spilling down her cheeks. 

"We fought for it, I won, I was free falling off a damn cliff, and she jumped after me, she fucking jumped after me."

"Take your time, Natasha." Tony whispered, trying to mediate the tension in the room, the grief in the room.

"She used her grapple to save me." Natasha continued, "And when I wouldn't let go of her, she pushed herself off. I'm so sorry Valkyrie."

Valkyrie stared at her blankly for a couple of seconds, "We were supposed to get married," she murmured, "Get out. Please just get out."

Natasha flinched, spinning on her heels, and leaving the room, Tony only a couple steps behind her.

Valkyrie stared into space for what felt like hours before, Helios jumped up on the bed beside her. 

"She's gone." Valkyrie spoke bitterly, toward the cat that never seemed to like her, "Elena is gone!" 

Helios meowed at her in protest, "Get out."

The cat just stared at her so Valkyrie repeat the instruction, "Get out! Elena is gone! She's dead, and she's not coming back! Not for you, and sure as hell not for me!" she shouted at the cat, that's when the tears broke through. 

She started crying and she just couldn't stop, she couldn't stop.

Tony was left completely alone, for the only time since hearing the news of Ellie's death, and dawned on him that he would never get to see her get married, he would never see her face light up the second she saw Morgan. Never hear the stories she was told by her first graders.

He would have to tell Morgan that his aunt is gone, and that she isn't coming back.