Two👹

Can you keep a secret...? 🤐

A loud bang jolted me out of bed, I was disoriented for a second. Was that in my dream?
I listened for the sound again but everywhere was deathly silent except for the birds chirping on a nearby tree.

With a heavy sigh I lay down again trying to go back to sleep when I heard it again, this time louder.

I sat up, that was when I heard the voices.
I groaned loudly and got out of bed. I walked to the window and looked out.

Cold sweat ran down my spine and goosebumbs began spreading slowly over my arms, when I noticed the door to the storage room was wide open and the light was turned on.

Are we being robbed?
My heart started pounding loudly in my chest at that thought.
I quietly crept out into the hallway towards my parents room, they were not there. I looked everywhere, the house was empty. That was when it dawned on me that I was all alone.

The digital clock in the hallway showed that it was barely six.

Where had they gone to? I asked myself as I crept in the darkness.

I went into the kitchen and picked up the nearest weapon I could see and then I walked outside to face the intruders all by myself.

I stealthily walked to the storeroom hiding behind some bushes. Right now I was very grateful for the hideous trees.

I was about to walk through the door when the light went off and everywhere was plunged into darkness.

I stood awkwardly at the door shaking like a leaf being blown by the wind. I gripped the weapon tightly in my hand ready to strike.

I heard shuffling, then I felt someone walking briskly towards me, I didn't wait to think, I struck. The person screamed and fell back and then the light came back on.

I gasped, as I took in the scene.

My brother was sprawled on the ground his head in his hands, my uncle, his wife, my parents and sister were there too. They were all staring at me as if I've gone crazy.

"Sasha, what the hell?" My brother cried, looking up at me.

Mama ran to his side and began to check him. Thank heavens I grabbed the smallest pan.

"You're finally up? You sleep like a log" Bree called out and snickered.

"Ha ha, very funny. What's going on here? I thought we were being robbed" I said in one breath.

"Have you forgotten we are meant to clean out the storage room today?" Pa asked.

"I totally forgot. But it's too early for that"

"According to the news, it's going to be very hot today" Uncle spoke up lifting an old crate from a large stack.

"It's best we get a head start before the sun comes out, so grab a glove sweetheart" Aunts nasal voice was more irritating this morning.

"No matter how hard the sun tries, it can't pass through the tall hideous trees growing everywhere" I muttered

"Sasha, catch" Bree said tossing me a worn pair of gloves.

"Do I really need these?" I asked making a face.

"Yeah, there are rats everywhere and you don't want to get your hands dirty" Bree said casually.

"Rats?" I gasped in horror. There's nothing that disgusts me as rats.

"Big ones, very big" she replied drawing out the last big.