Eight🧛🏻‍♂

It only gets tougher....

Running through the woods with no sense of direction, but just a destination in a small white sheet, was proving very difficult.
For over five years, I've been caged, not just physically, but emotionally, spiritually too. For the first time in a long while, though scared and hungry, I felt free.
The sky was almost pitch black when I stumbled upon a small hut in the thick forest.

My stomach rumbled once, I had to eat something. Erasing all rational thought, I stumbled towards the hut.

I knocked on the small wooden door. I waited for a while, I heard nothing. The forest was dead quiet. The birds had stopped chirping, the animals had gone silent too.
I felt a chill run down my spine.

I pushed the door and surprisingly, it creaked open. I put my head through the tiny crack to see clearly into the room.

The room was bare of furniture, there was a large mat lying at the center of the room. A large fire place was at the left with a big pot over it, steam escaping furiously.
What ever was cooking smelt nice. My stomach rumbled again.

"Hello.." I called out quietly.

Still no sound.

What sane person leaves in the center of the forest alone?
I asked myself

With a shrug of my shoulders, I opened the door widely and stepped inside.
I barely took two steps when a felt a rough hand clamped hard over my face.
I struggled to free myself from the clutch of the beast, but it was futile. It was stronger. I missed my powers.

Before I drifted off into the darkness, I heard a loud growl.

^^^^^^^
"I've never been to a rodeo" Michael said shaking his head.

"Well genius, neither have we" Bree said rolling her eyes.
"I don't want to go" She added burying her face deep inside her pillow.

I took a deep breath then I spoke up

"Come on guys, it won't be that bad. We've been held up inside this cave for years now. A little fresh air will be nice..."

"We receive fresh air every time we go outside, so what's your point?" Michael asked with a raised brown

"Well genius, you know what I mean" I said rolling my eyes at him.

Ma strolled into the room casually, a tray containing three glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice in her hands.

"Thanks Ma" I said taking the tray away from her waiting hands.

I passed the tray to my brother and then to my sister who took hers and quickly gulped down half of the drink.

"Aaaah....Ma I was so thirsty" she said smiling up at Ma

I shook my head, She can be so dramatic. Sometimes I wonder if she's really the eldest.

"You know, if you really don't want to go to the Rodeo, you can stay home...."

I knew there was a but as soon as she said that.

"....but it would really mean a lot to your Uncle, he is sponsoring the event"

There it was.

"Ma I heard that people die at rodeos" Bree said giving my Ma the "I don't want to die" face.

"Who told you that? I don't think your Uncle will invite us to an event that will kill us" Ma said looking her dead in the eyes.

Bree and I exchanged a brief look.