Three👹

Red tastes better...

It was dark outside, the lights went out and we had to light the candles to illuminate the room. A storm was coming which was evident by the raging wind outside.

We were seated at the large dining table for dinner. After the last dish was served and Ma made us say the grace, we dug in.  For a while no one said anything,  the only sounds were the clicking of utensils and the sound of the wind.

I couldn't concentrate on dinner,  my eyes kept drifting back and forth from Uncle to Aunt. They seemed normal, but so did Cherry before she attacked.

I felt a sharp pain on my ankle where someone had kicked me, I looked at the culprit who only rolled her eyes and mouthed
"You're staring, it's rude"

I rolled my eyes too and went back to my dinner. As soon as dinner was over everybody dispersed leaving me to clear the table.

I was clearing the table with Mama when I heard Aunt talking on the phone,  her voice was too low,  I couldn't make out what she was saying but it sounded like she was in a heated argument with whoever she was on the phone with.

I tiptoed to the study room where she was and hid behind the door to listen. If Ma sees me now she'll be highly disappointed, she always tells us to respect peoples privacy.

"...they're already suspicious...what do you mean? The signs are everywhere...Yeah, we need to attack now...the thirst for blood is too high...you're right we need a plan...I'll meet you in five"

I heard the click as the call ended.

That was the most intense one sided conversation I've ever heard. My heart was beating so loudly, I was afraid she'd hear.

I held my breath as she walked past the door. I was praying under my breath that she doesn't shut the door because if she does, she will see me shaking like a drenched cat behind it.

My prayer didn't reach the heavens because at that moment I felt the creak of the door as she pulled it slowly,  exposing me with each creak.

I began counting down my time of death, I was sure she won't spare me.

5...4...3...2..

"Kate, come quick it's important" Ma's urgent voice called from the kitchen.

I finally released my breath as I heard aunt footsteps echoing down the hall.

^^^^^

I was sprawled on the bed I shared with Bree, the rain was falling heavily outside,  I couldn't sleep.

Bree was still staring at me wide-eyed, the way she's been staring since I told her what I heard.

"What did she mean by 'the thirst for blood is high'?" She asked,  fear clouding her eyes.

"I don't know, but I need to find out what's going on. The vampires never got close to this place..."

"Those where Uncle's words when he asked us to come stay here,  for all we know he might be lying and he only lured us here to kill us" Bree whispered.

"But if he really is a vampire don't you think we'll be dead by now. It's been five years already" I sighed I was so confused.

"We should tell Pa..."