#4; dusty metal box

Jade Hendersons POV
2:03pm, saturday.
✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

i wake up to Nancy Wheeler yelling for me from downstairs.

what the hell is she doing here so early?i check the time

i check the time.. "shit! it's 2pm." i say.

i roll out of bed, quickly fixing my hair in the mirror before running downstairs.
"whatt are you doing here nance??" i say, in a sleepy voice, trying not to be rude.

"god, did you just get up?" she says rather judgmentally
i let out a sarcastic chuckle.

"whatever. anyways, you have to come to jason's party tonight with me!" she says demandingly.

"ha. no way in hell!" i say, looking at her like she's out of her mind. which she is, by the way!

"you owe me! remember?" she says, looking at me scoldingly.

"since when!?" i say, nervous to hear her answer.

"remember when i told steve you were leaving? andd you said-" i cut Nancy off.

"i owe you one." i say, with an annoyed tone as i roll my eyes at her.
she looks at me, pleased.

"why do i need to come anyways?" i ask.

"because, you haven't done anything since you've been back!" she tells me, but i don't buy it.

"and the real reason?" i question.

"that is the real reason!" she assures me.

"fine." i roll my eyes.

"pick me up at 8! and wear that cute plaid dress." she says smiling, before she walks out of the door.

i don't buy the whole nice friend act for a second, but whatever. she's right about one thing, i haven't been out in forever.

then i remembered, my car!
i still haven't taken it in to get fixed.
and it's too late notice now..

i grab the telephone in the kitchen, and dial moms work number.
"hello?" she says

"mom, hi!" i say, trying to sound chipper.
she waits for me to continue
"so, you know dads old tool box?" i say.

"well.. of course." she says, sympathetically. she pauses. "what about it?"

"i want to try and fix my car." i say.

"what happened to your car?" she says, sounding slightly concerned.

of course she doesn't know, we haven't had a real conversation in weeks.
"uh, it just won't start up.. so?" i say.

"check the garage" she says, sounding confident in her answer.

"okay, thanks mom!" i say before quickly hanging up.

-

i put on a light coat, assuming it's chilly out.
is it.
i open up the garage, looking at all of the crap piled up from over the years. it's kind of depressing, to be honest. but whatever.

i look around for a couple of minutes, before finding a dusty metal box.
i'd recognize it anywhere..

one of the only things my dad & i could bond over is cars. growing up, when i'd briefly stay with him over the summer, i would sit for hours reading whilst he fixed his cars.
god i'd kill for one more summer afternoon with him..

but at last, it's fall now.

-

and after a *lot* of struggling, i finally manage to start my car back up. i have no idea how long it took, but considering it's starting to get dark i assume too long.

now i have to get ready for the party..