Chapter 6

Harriet

By Yule I have fallen into a routine. Luna, me and Leo helped each other with homework each night and spent most of our free time together. On Fridays Luna and I would go see the local thestral herd. Luna seemed to have a special connection to them. Leo claimed because he couldn't see them, he didn't want to go. I played it off like I couldn't either, mostly out there to make sure Luna didn't get hurt but I truthfully, I loved looking at the animal. Their dark beauty always fascinated me.

On the train heading home I again sit with Leo, but this time Luna joins us. We spend most of the ride talking about random things before finally slipping into silence as we read the rest of the ride. The moment we arrive we say goodbye to Luna making sure to promise to write before stepping off the train and heading over to where Sirius, Regulus, and Barty are standing. The moment they spot us they begin fussing over us and I can't help the smile. This is the thing I had missed out the most in my past life. A family that truly cared about me.

"Alright you two, we want to know everything." Barty says the moment we land at the manor.

"We met a girl named Luna Lovegood. She is the sweetest." I tell him. We had already written them all this, but I knew that wouldn't matter.

"I will forever be thankful you taught us potions. Our potions professor can't stop bullying kids to teach us much." Leo says rolling his eyes. Snape had found that Leo had a vicious streak and had already woken to everything from lime green hair to being bald with a slight orange tent to his skin. I had asked Leo a few times how he did it, but he had yet to spill his secrets.

Sirius

I watch as Harriet and Leo go on about their adventures at Hogwarts. I remember doing the same with Regulus the first night I was back home. We had to wait for our mother to go to bed but it hadn't mattered. Seeing how even my grandfather smiled at their stories made everything I had gone through worth it. Harriet would never know what it was like to fear someone who was meant to protect her being the one to hurt her.

Once the excitement of their return dies down, I motion for her to follow me, and we head to the drawling room. Once inside I take a seat and smile at her.

"I know I have said this in letters, but your parents would be so proud of you. They wouldn't have cared about your house and Lily probably would have told James it was karma for some of the things we did while in Hogwarts." I say chuckling. I could hear her exact words that it was only fair that she made Slytherin and green matched her eyes anyways.

"Thanks uncle Pads. I had planned on talking to them when we did our Yule visit to their grave." She says giving me such an innocent smile. We always went twice a year to their graves. The day before her birthday and the day before Yule. We spent all day out there retelling stories that had happened and just spending time with them. Harriet loved it and as she got older would write little notes to them to leave, saying they could read them when she couldn't be there.

"Sounds good, you know they love hearing from you, and this year I have a present from them to you. I have been holding it this whole time under strict instructions only to give it to you after you started Hogwarts." Her eyes light up and my heart clenches. It shouldn't be me giving this gift, but James would never let me live it down if I didn't.

"Will Uncle Moony be there?"

"Yeah pronglet, he said he was able to take some time off." I say trying to keep the smile on my face. I understood why he wasn't around more often, but it still hurt. Dumbledore had made him believe he was a danger to be around her, it had taken a week to convince him to at least come to the grave with us twice a year. He also worried that Dumbledore would make him out to be a danger. If that happened there would be no way to protect him as every auror and bounty hunter would be after his head.