Chapter 18

Harriet

I have had enough and finally pull Leo off alone. He was panicking more than I was.

"What is going on?" I ask after casting a privacy charm.

"I hate this, I should be able to protect you." He sighs.

"Leo, you can't protect me from everything."

"I know, but it still doesn't stop the fear. The fear that you will actually die during this." I pull him into a hug and rest my head on his chest.

"I will make it through this. I'm not leaving you."

"You can't promise that." He whispers.

"I am Death's chosen, I doubt he will let me die in some tournament, and I am more prepared this time."

"You know I see you in the nightmares. You're standing there as I kill, looking at me like I am a monster." My breath catches at his admission.

"You are not a monster, Leo Black. I am with you no matter what." I say holding his gaze.

"Don't let go."

"Never." I smile.

~

I stand in the tent waiting for the minister to come in. Today was the first task and while prepared, I couldn't ignore my nerves. It seems like a blur as the other champions choose their dragons before I finally choose mine. The moment I pull out the horntail I sigh. While not unexpected, I knew this one was the worst out of the four. When Fleur goes first, I make sure to wish her luck. I repeat the same with Cedric and Victor. When I am called, I take a centering breath and calm down. I walk out and quickly predict the safest route. I send a simple charm to smaller rocks to fly around the dragon's head then charm larger ones to taunt it from the ground. I duck behind a boulder as the dragon tries to use fire to rid itself of the rocks. I quickly jump between rocks and the moment I am close enough I force the rocks to congregate at the dragon's eyes. I take the distraction and sprint, grabbing the egg and making my way to the exit.

Sirius

Leo reaches Harriet first and pulls her into a hug. I see my family smirk at me, and I just groan. She was still too young for such things. It is a mild distraction from the pounding in my chest. I had been terrified watching her out there.

"Pronglet you are going to give me a heart attack." I say hugging her.

"I'm ok uncle Pads." She says hugging me back.

"Well done, while I do not like you have to do this, it was quite impressive." My grandfather says hugging her.

"Thank you. One good thing is coming out of this. I am building good relationships with both France and Bulgaria." She smirks. I just shake my head. Of course, she would be working on political power. We talk for a little while longer before they have to return. As I watch them walk away, I see many from Hogwarts and the other schools congratulate her. She talks to most of them as if they were old friends, but Leo is never far and even moves her back when a guy is getting too close to her.

"Safe to say she has support." Father chuckles.

"Now I am just worried about Leo hurting someone. I don't think I have ever seen him so protective." Regulus says shaking his head.

"More like possessive." Barty chuckles.

"No possessive." I glare. I knew I just needed to accept that they had a bond, but she was still my little girl. We are about to leave when one of the younger Weasleys walks up to them. My eyes widen as Leo has his wand out and against his throat before anyone can react. Multiple Slytherins come to stand blocking the view from the professors.

"If he gets expelled Harriet will never let him live it down." Regulus sighs.

"You going to go stop that?" I ask.

"Nah, clearly he has enough backing." I just shake my head again, but he wasn't wrong. A few other Gryffindors walk over, and I groan.

"If they get into a fight, we got to do something."

"Only because Gryffindor will lose." Barty laughs and I glare.

"How about we just leave, before we are stuck dealing with a bunch of children." Grandfather says.

"Sounds good to me." Father says. While I wanted to know what was happening, I sigh and turn away from them. I would make sure to write and get all the details.

Leo

I was going to kill that weasel, but now wasn't the time. I couldn't protect Harriet if I didn't have a soul. We finally walk to the common room to see a huge party going on. When alcohol is passed around, I deny. The last thing I needed was loss of control. Also, old habits would be easy to fall into, I avoided drugs and alcohol at all costs. Harriet has one drink but after that she too doesn't drink anymore.

A few days after the first task we are called in for an assembly. When it is announced that there would be a ball, I look over at Harriet. I would be damned if she went with anyone else. It wasn't like it would be shocking to the school. I am thankful for the dance classes forced on us when we were younger. The last thing I wanted to do was make a fool of myself. As we are released Parkinson walks up to me.

"Hey Leo, any idea who you are going to the ball with?" She asks batting her eyes.

"Um, yes, and you look like you have something in your eye, maybe you should go see Madam Pomfrey." I say and walk away as she gasps. I spot Harriet waiting on me smirking.

"I think she was attempting to flirt." She smiles.

"Well, she looked stupid. Also, she is stupid if she doesn't know I would ask you to the ball." I smirk.

"Is that your way of asking?" She laughs.

"Did it work?"

"Yes, I would love to go to the ball with you."

"Good, can't have anyone that close to what is mine." I whisper in her ear, and my smirk widens as I see her slight blush.

"You, Leo Black, are trouble." She says and I just shrug, taking her hand we walk to the great hall.

~

I stand at the entrance to Slytherin as I wait for Harriet. Today was the ball, and I couldn't wait. She refused to show me her dress, claiming it would ruin the surprise. Jasper stands next to me waiting for Luna. They finally emerge, and my jaw almost drops at the sight of her. She is in a flowing silver dress that accentuates her curves, without being inappropriate. I hold out my hand and smile as she takes it.

"You look beautiful." I say as we walk to the great hall.

"Thank you, Luna helped me pick it out."

We are lined up for the first dance, and I love the feel of her in my arms as we spin around the room. I catch many staring at her, and I just smirk. Let them see what they can never have.